Auto sparks Main Loom

PostPost by: Simmo78 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:56 pm

Good evening all, looking for a little advice as I contemplate starting the process of re-wiring my 1970 S4 FHC.
As I’m sure many of us have experienced with our cars, what starts out as a simple job soon snowballs into something far greater.
Having currently got the engine out to replace the water pump and sort a number of oil leaks I was wondering if now would be a good time to replace the main loom with one supplied by Auto Sparks.
Can anyone who has recently replaced the ‘main loom’ confirm if all the connections are accessible from the engine bay or do you need to gain access to any other areas?
If I can replace the loom without disturbing the interior / remove dashboard I’ll use the opportunity while the engine is out to clean the bay / repaint and re-wire.
Thanks in advance.
Simmo78
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:18 am

Hi Simmo,
The S4 Elan has three looms. Engine bay, interior, and rear.
If you are referring to the engine bay loom as “the main loom”, then yes, you can disconnect the wires from under the left hand side of the dash, and pull it through the firewall.
The interior loom requires the dash out to replace.
Cheers,
Colin.

quote="Simmo78"]Good evening all, looking for a little advice as I contemplate starting the process of re-wiring my 1970 S4 FHC.
As I’m sure many of us have experienced with our cars, what starts out as a simple job soon snowballs into something far greater.
Having currently got the engine out to replace the water pump and sort a number of oil leaks I was wondering if now would be a good time to replace the main loom with one supplied by Auto Sparks.
Can anyone who has recently replaced the ‘main loom’ confirm if all the connections are accessible from the engine bay or do you need to gain access to any other areas?
If I can replace the loom without disturbing the interior / remove dashboard I’ll use the opportunity while the engine is out to clean the bay / repaint and re-wire.
Thanks in advance.[/quote]
Last edited by fatboyoz on Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:34 am

The earlier cars (S1,S2 & S3) have a single loom.

I've fitted a couple of Elan Autosparks looms and not had any real issues. I've also fitted a Mk14 Elite loom which was "different" (older design, could have been simplified IMHO) but not too bad.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: