Odd failsafe headlight behavior

PostPost by: steve lyle » Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:38 am

My headlights tend to stay down, even when vacuum is removed, until I hit a bump. At speed, it can take quite a jolt to get them go come up, as the drag tends to push them down. It's gotten to the point where, if I think I'm going to need the headlights, I'll raise them before a drive by manually pushing down on the rear edge of the pod before I get in the car, then pull the vacuum switch immediately after starting the engine.

Any idea why this is, and how I can fix it?

The good news is that this is the "last" functional issue I've got with the car (knock on wood). We just got back from a 600 mile drive, and besides this headlight issue, the only other nit was a vibration of the trim around the radio, since fixed with a bit of butyl rubber behind the trim.
Steve Lyle
1972 Elan Sprint 0248k @ https://www.mgexp.com/registry/1972-Lot ... 48K.30245/
1972 MGB Roadster @ https://www.mgexp.com/registry/1972-MG- ... 842G.4498/
2007 BMW 335i Coupe
steve lyle
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:37 am

The headlamp pods pivot on bolts in threaded bobbins in the body ... it sounds like the threads may be partially siezed.
You need to remove the headlamps from the pods to gain access to the pivot bolt heads then you can remove, clean the threads and grease them liberally before refitting. I would suggest removing/refitting one at a time then you won't lose the lateral adjustment of the pod in the body aperture.

If the pivots are moving freely then it may be the lifting spring on the vacuum actuator has become weak and needs replacing. The failsafe system uses a different spring from the non-failsafe system .. maybe the wrong spring has been fitted at some time?
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:52 pm

Steve, are you sure everything is assembled the right way?

I used to have similar issues, after looking on here I found mine was not & was binding where the spring attaches to the vacuum actuator. I re-assembled correctly, greased everything, added a captive nut & everything works reliably now.

Here are some pictures post-rebuild:
IMG_2675.jpg and

IMG_2676.jpg and

No idea why the pictures are suddenly upside-down!
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steve lyle » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:44 am

Thanks, guys.

Must be a weak spring. The pivots are fine, at least they seem that way after the pods rotate maybe 20 degrees. It's that first 20 that's a problem. A weak spring is the likely culprit, since it looks like the assembly is correct.

I'll go searching for a replacement spring.
Steve Lyle
1972 Elan Sprint 0248k @ https://www.mgexp.com/registry/1972-Lot ... 48K.30245/
1972 MGB Roadster @ https://www.mgexp.com/registry/1972-MG- ... 842G.4498/
2007 BMW 335i Coupe
steve lyle
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:54 pm

pharriso wrote:
No idea why the pictures are suddenly upside-down!

It's the curse of modern technology :D , modern phone display coding detects when pictures are sideways or upside down and revise what you see... WITHOUT CHANGING THE ORIGINAL FILE.

So if the original file is wrong orientation when you upload it here, it displays the original orientation.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Steve Brooks » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:57 am

Hello, on my failsafe pod there are two springs ( which I believe is normal).One spring on a failsafe will not push the headlamps up on its own.Regards Steve
72 Elan +2S 130/5
Put in the garage after a mot pass in 2012,trying to make it back out.(Almost there)
Steve Brooks
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:11 am

Steve Brooks wrote:Hello, on my failsafe pod there are two springs ( which I believe is normal).One spring on a failsafe will not push the headlamps up on its own.Regards Steve

The OP has a Sprint and your car is a Plus 2... they appear to be different.

According to the Parts List the Plus 2 failsafe system uses two springs but the Sprint has only one. They both use the same vacuum actuator however and you can just about see the holes for the second spring in Phil's photo so you could easily add the second spring if you need to. There are four different springs listed (two LH and two RH) so I presume a stronger version was introduced with the failsafe system.

Elan Headlamp Vacuum System.png and
Elan Headlamp Vacuum System

Plus 2 Headlamp Vacuum System.png and
Plus 2 Headlamp Vacuum System
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: