Dashboard Switches +2S - Window Switch Woes

PostPost by: Breezehill » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:13 pm

Having now fully rewired the car from front to back, the new facia has been completed again with new harness. All the switches have been replaced using items provided by a well known Midlands (UK) dealer and all wiring connected. This week the battery connected each switch tested and on the whole all good apart from the window switches.

The wiring has been done in accordance with the wiring diagram for Plus +S with alternator. The switches are I believe same as those supplied by R Dent. There are four wires Green which is live with the ignition on that links with Blue/Yellow for window up and White permanent live which links with Black/ Blue for window down. I believe originally wired this way as a safety feature allowing the window to lower without ignition on.

The issue is wiring these switches as per the diagram doesn't work. After numerous configurations they are wire just using the Green, live with ignition. Not sure of the internal configuration on the original switch but these replacements have a wire bridge between contacts 1& 6 and 2 & 5.

So has anyone else had issues with these replacement switches?
Breezehill
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mileso » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:21 pm

They all worked fine for me when I replaced one recently. Apology's I dont have a record to hand of actual wiring connections, but windows/switch worked fine. I made sure earth points were good and windows work better than ever.

Only issue I did have ids the switches are different depth/width so had to shave rear of dash and havent got it perfect as yet.
Mileso
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Breezehill » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:01 pm

Mileso,
Many thanks for getting in touch.

First yes same situation having to remove the raised section at the rear to get the switch profile correct on the facia. All done and the line up is good now looking like the original.

With this switch on the +2S, photographed all the wiring at the rear of the old before setting to work on the new dashboard. Fitted all the replacement switches into the new dash along with instruments etc and wired in with new loom from Paul Matty, following my photos and wiring diagram in the manual.

The window switch has 6 connectors but only four used 1,3,4,6 in the original format which I replicated on the new switches but no joy. Since then disconnected the new loom wires and temporarily attached the old switch which works fine. So can only think the internals of the new switch are different to the original.
Breezehill
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:06 am

Breezehill wrote:...Since then disconnected the new loom wires and temporarily attached the old switch which works fine. So can only think the internals of the new switch are different to the original.

You should be able to quickly check for any differences with an ohm meter or even a light bulb and a battery and wire the new switches accordingly.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Breezehill » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:51 am

Bud English

Many thanks

Such a simple check, totally blinded by just changing wires doh!

Will get on with checking when back from vacation

Thanks
Breezehill
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: