Back to points

PostPost by: friedy » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:10 pm

So this morning MOT booked. Fired her up started first time :D , out if the garage, jumped out to put couple things back in garage, she was idling ok...then cut out. Couldn't restart not even firing :( so started usual checks, fuel yes, plug out..no spark. So swapped coil, no change, well I had a electronic module in the dizzy so swap that out for the spare points always carry. Carb off, module out, new points didn't fit the pivot post on base plate :roll: had to drill out points. Good job I was still outside the house. Anyway all back together and started on 2nd turn. :D Runs well so think I will stay on points. Only thing I've noticed now is getting more popping back through carbs. If you carry spare points check out the pivot hole need to get a 4.9mm drill through or won't fit.
friedy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:28 pm

Frustrating, but well done in your persistence to get it going!

You make a great advertisement for an EDIS.
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: USA64 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:40 pm

HCA wrote:Frustrating, but well done in your persistence to get it going!

You make a great advertisement for an EDIS.

What is EDIS (search turned up empty).
We are supposed to be having fun, are we not?
USA64
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:25 pm

Ah. Electronic Distributerless Ignition System. aka Electronic Direct Ignition system.

Basically could be loosely akin to a magnito - a sensor on the crankshaft sends a signal to a coil to fire its spark plug at the correct moment.

If you want the detail, this youtube describes it quite well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiejJ1HfS3M

It is easy to fit an EDIS to the Twincam. Forget the need for a cam sensor though. Not needed.
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: