Wiring Looms - Rewiring 0037N (1970 Federal +2S)

PostPost by: nwbaxter66 » Tue May 18, 2021 5:35 pm

About to embark on installing a new wiring loom in my +2 and a new dash.

Car is running, but needs a new dash and the niggling electrical issues time after time are driving me nuts.
Probably should have made that decision at the beginning of Covid, but procrastination won out.

I have read the plethora of posts on the topics but am wondering if there are three or four top tips for embarking on this project.

Had already planned on removing a fair amount of the interior and labelling the major parts of the new loom.

I have a British AutoWire loom, updated by them for an alternator. I was thinking about adding some additional relays for things like the windows and lights.

Laying the loom out on a flat surface in the correct orientation and then labelling it sounds like a winner,
Testing each circuit as one goes, seems logical.

Any other obvious techniques that makes the project easier to stomach?

any ideas on a benchmark of hours needed - probably not given all the variables.

Thanks in advance.

Nick
Last edited by nwbaxter66 on Fri May 21, 2021 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nick Baxter
1970 Plus 2S (Federal)
1969 Plus 2 (UK) - sold
nwbaxter66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Lotusian » Wed May 19, 2021 9:42 am

Engine bay and interior/rear are pretty straightforward, but dash is not.
I’ve done three dashboards, so here are a few thoughts . . .
1. With the old dash removed, offer up the new bare dash in order to be certain that it will fit, and make any necessary adjustments.
2. Before removing the old loom or any components from the old dash, take loads of photos and make drawings of the back, more than you think you’ll ever need (you will need them).
3. Clean and refurbish everything before fitting to the new dash.
4. Before finally fitting anything to the new dash, make sure everything actually fits - you may need to enlarge some holes (eg eyeball vents), or even find that others are too big.
5. Fit the glove box door and the glove box first.
6. Clamp the very bottom of the dash securely in a Workmate. You can then easily get at both sides and won’t damage anything like you might on a bench or table. Any marks from clamping will be covered by the centre console.
7. Don’t throw away the old loom or dash until you are 101% sure that everything is okay. I sold my old dashboards on eBay!
8. If you are fussy and meticulous, allow at least a couple of weeks to do the dashboard.

Ian
Lotusian
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Wed May 19, 2021 12:43 pm

On the electrical side, there might not be any need to go overboard on relays. Instead I would put efforts into more fusing, but this is not easy without making your own loom.

Windows - before installing relays, do check the actual window operation - motors and chanel felts etc. In good condition and with decent wire, relays are not necessary - however a decent earth is necessary.

what wire do you know, have been used to make up the loom - PVC or Thinwall?
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nwbaxter66 » Wed May 19, 2021 1:40 pm

Hal
I went with British Wirings PVC/PVC offering in 2018 when I purchased the loom.
Not as attractive as black, but I think that I am going to add a layer of the cloth tape cover for cosmetic reasons, at least in the engine bay and boot.
I can't say that I am looking forward to the project, but it has to be done !

I appreciate the commentary on the dash - it looks like a lot of fun !

Nick
Nick Baxter
1970 Plus 2S (Federal)
1969 Plus 2 (UK) - sold
nwbaxter66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Wed May 19, 2021 2:50 pm

Good luck, I'm just starting on my Plus 2 rewire - view my other post for fun and games and wish me luck
Matthew Vale - Classic Motoring Author
1968 Plus 2 - Somewhat cosmetically and mechanically modified
1969 Plus 2S - Currently undergoing nut and bolt restoration
Visit me on matthewvale.com
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nwbaxter66 » Wed May 19, 2021 4:46 pm

Wishing you luck.
I think that I may start a similar thread and see how I get along! It might motivate me to stick with it ... although the major motivation will be the fact that I am doing it in a garage I need for my car during Nebraska winters !!

Nick
Nick Baxter
1970 Plus 2S (Federal)
1969 Plus 2 (UK) - sold
nwbaxter66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nwbaxter66 » Wed May 19, 2021 4:59 pm

64104916920__8C01D9FE-A326-474F-9F7C-9A7DDB3CC80A.jpeg and
Just the start ...
Matt
Just took a look at your blog.
I had a G reg +2 when I lived in the UK (On the Staffordshire/Shropshire border Pattingham area), my current one is a 70 Federal version that has seen some interesting add ons.
My plan for the front is actually to remove the bonnet, radiator and the carbs and front grill before starting the job on the engine bay. In the cabin, to remove both seats, wheel and center console but hopefully leave the rear alone as far as possible; and there is nothing in the trunk to remove except for the plumbing for the EFI project that is still stalled!!!

- I am also thinking that with the loom out, some f/glass work and an engine bay repaint might be in the works.

I have a friend in Omaha with a Plus 2, who has posted on here and is waiting for his loom from the vendor; I think he is a lucky guy as he will be able to go to school as we say on the two of us.

Game on ...

Nick
Nick Baxter
1970 Plus 2S (Federal)
1969 Plus 2 (UK) - sold
nwbaxter66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nwbaxter66 » Wed May 19, 2021 11:16 pm

OK, Day 1
Bonnet already off, so pulled carbs and radiator to get some space in which to work.
Despite having had the engine out 18 months ago for a new clutch, its messy down there. I had the job done for me, and cleaning up the engine bay clearly wasn't on the list of jobs to be done. Lesson learned should have done it myself.

Clearly some clean up work on the red permatex gaskets and it looks like we need some resealing and new gaskets on the cam cover - check, parts arrived today from Ray at RD Ent.
I am also going to add some vacuum points in the intake manifold and grind out some additional space between cylinders 2 and 3 so if I choose I can use a Mangoletsi throttle bracket set up.
Carbs also need a clean and refettle - I wonder what Jim Inglese's post covid backlog is looking like (:

I have to say that if I hadn't seen Matt on the other side of the pond kick off his loom project today, I think that procrastination would have won out. But looking forward to comparing notes.

Tomorrow I plan on pulling all DPO/Personal bad wiring before getting to work on the loom.
Attachments
Starting Point.jpeg and
The bad wiring and relays cannot be blamed on a DPO, it was my work... now to be rectified.
Carbs Off.jpeg and
Engine bay repaint is on the cards, after I fill all the damn holes in the f'glass
Radiator Out.jpeg and
That's just too dirty
Nick Baxter
1970 Plus 2S (Federal)
1969 Plus 2 (UK) - sold
nwbaxter66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nwbaxter66 » Thu May 20, 2021 1:24 pm

Any good suggestions on a circuit tester/tracer, apply power one end, see when bulb lights up the other - should probably just make one, but interested if there are recommendations for the US based?
thanks
N
Nick Baxter
1970 Plus 2S (Federal)
1969 Plus 2 (UK) - sold
nwbaxter66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 0005K » Thu May 20, 2021 2:29 pm

Before reinstalling the dash make sure that the switches are wired and installed in the correct orientation. On my S4 I had to rewire the window switches through the radio opening. It can be done but not easily.
Several of the needed wires for grounds or short jumpers may not be included in your new harnesses. If you have a good soldering iron you may want to also solder the crimped bullets. Crimped bullets have been known to separate from the wires. Crimping on new bullets while on your back under the dash is a job to be avoided if possible.
It will take a while. Don't rush it. Good luck.
Dick
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nwbaxter66 » Thu May 20, 2021 3:28 pm

Thanks for the advice, very smart.
N
Attachments
IMG_1668.jpeg and
That's a little better, lots of holes to fill.
Nick Baxter
1970 Plus 2S (Federal)
1969 Plus 2 (UK) - sold
nwbaxter66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Thu May 20, 2021 11:47 pm

nwbaxter66 wrote: ... Tomorrow I plan on pulling all DPO/Personal bad wiring before getting to work on the loom.

It sucks when you realize that the DPO was in fact you (me, in my case at twenty eight or so). Have you caught yourself saying "Why, in hell, did I think that was a good idea?". I don't even bother saying it any more. :wink:
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nwbaxter66 » Fri May 21, 2021 12:36 am

Yep … enough said (:
Nick Baxter
1970 Plus 2S (Federal)
1969 Plus 2 (UK) - sold
nwbaxter66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Fri May 21, 2021 6:03 am

DIY electrical work generally comes unstuck at the connections.

Crimp connections are great in a production environment, where cable size, crimp connector and tooling are all controlled. A 'one size fits all' tool purchased from eBay, a packet of connectors of unknown parentage and wire of an unknown size is a recipe for disaster.

There have been threads on how to go about this - in particular bullet connectors which require a 'hexagon crimp' to be reliable.

Personally, I solder all the connectors, and have yet to have a connection fail.

Good luck.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nwbaxter66 » Fri May 21, 2021 11:06 am

Great advice, thanks -

Never really thought of my car as filthy ... opinions are changing with this project, I just wasn't really looking for it, I was just driving it. Engine bay loom all out as far as I can without removing the dash, that is the weekend's work.

Interesting thoughts for a Friday morning:

(1) When we were doing this type of work in our 20s, there was no internet and no forums, but then I found that there was always that "guy" within shouting distance to come and lend a hand and an opinion - thanks to the "virtual guys (and girls)" of the forum.

(2) Shout out to Ross Robbins and his awesome round the USA tour in his Elan (well the Bow-tie Tour as it probably should have been called given the route) and raising money for a Kid's charity. Kudos to my wife when told of his trip for saying "well that sounds interesting" rather than NWIH... of course I think I can guess what she really thought, but no need to burst my bubble right away.

(3) I have two of the three daughters home this weekend and am giving them copies of "Never Stop Driving - a Better Life Behind the Wheel", stories edited by Larry Webster trying to explain why we spend so much time involved with old cars. If we want the next generations to love this activity the way we do - warts and all, we probably need to work a little harder at explaining it. The same two out of three of my 20-something daughters are buying their first cars this year, I am happy to say that I was the dissenting voice suggesting that the really cute MG or Fiat convertibles they had picked out weren't the best of choices for a daily driver and grocery getter. if they get through their first winters with their own cars (versus parental contributions), I am sure that we can find something "fun and frustrating" for next summer! Sadly, I wonder if they will be the last generation actually "buying" cars.

Off to the day job, and then pulling the interior and dash over the next couple of days.
Attachments
Drivers Side After.jpeg and
I think that the picture says enough ... yes, I did know the car was originally yellow.
Nick Baxter
1970 Plus 2S (Federal)
1969 Plus 2 (UK) - sold
nwbaxter66
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: