Window won’t go up

PostPost by: miked » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:38 pm

Glad you got it sorted. It is indeed a faff. Especially if you are working on someone elses car and you end up with it all over the floor to get at a switch. :?
Not trying to be a smarty pants Mr Veg but on the Elan motor earthing/grounding is more for radio interference. As was mentioned in the thread the dash switches just reverse polarity on the motor two wires to change direction. There is no electrical connection or refence to earth/ground. I have overhauled a fair few.
:D
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ElanAl » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:25 pm

Bill, you are right of course, apologies. I must have broken the capillary for the water temperature gauge, anyway, it wasn’t working so new one ordered and fitted - all now good. The oily stuff I noticed was indeed engine oil. I had clearly not tightened up the connector on the back of the oil pressure gauge and it leaked oil. I used plumbers PTFE tape on the new one and it’s secure, leak free and working fine.

Allen
ElanAl
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:01 pm

ElanAl wrote:Bill, you are right of course, apologies. I must have broken the capillary for the water temperature gauge, anyway, it wasn’t working so new one ordered and fitted - all now good. The oily stuff I noticed was indeed engine oil. I had clearly not tightened up the connector on the back of the oil pressure gauge and it leaked oil. I used plumbers PTFE tape on the new one and it’s secure, leak free and working fine.

Allen

Allen,
There should be a small sealing washer in the oil line fitting .. usually supplied with a replacement gauge. You shouldn't need to use PTFE tape on the joint.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:13 pm

Just a tip on removing the rocker switches from my own experience, use a compact right angle ratchet screwdriver set like this one. Removing the ash tray on an Elan and loosening the dash fixing screws gives just enough space to remove and replace the tiny phillips screws. I cut down a ph1 bit so that it gave more clearance, fiddly job but quite doable.

Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ElanAl » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:20 pm

Roger, thanks for that. Neither of the new gauges that I purchased came with a washer for the oil connection. I’ve been in touch with the manufacturer and they confirmed that there should have been a cork washer included, so I’ve asked them to send me one and they have agreed to send me a couple. Meanwhile, the PTFE tape seems to be working just fine.

And thanks too for the tool suggestion, Alan, although I hope it won’t be necessary - at least for a while. But then it is an Elan!

Allen
ElanAl
First Gear
First Gear

Previous

Total Online: