Phillips Turnolock Mechanism

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:53 pm

My Phillips Turnolock radio has a problem with the Turnolock mechanism, it jams occasionally. Having taken the case off the radio, I am rather taken aback by the complexity and small size of the components, and I can’t see why it works sometimes but not all the time. Before I take it apart and risk ruining it has anyone fixed this issue before?

Alternatively does anyone have a radio that is unusable that I could buy for parts and to practice with?

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:18 am

You could try finding a Vintage-Radio repairer. They are used to fixing those twiddly bits.

Some people sneakily fit modern innards to their old Phillis Turnlock radios and even fit USB sockets so that they can play the tunes on their smart-phones in the car.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:28 pm

Bill,

Thanks for the reply, I have spent a couple of days fiddling with it, which mainly involves trying to see what causes it to jam. I thought I recognised part of the mechanism and a consultation with Wikipedia confirm it to be a Geneva Gear, more commonly found in clocks and watches. Wikipedia also mentions Geneva Gear being susceptible to lack of lubricant. On this basis I lubricated with a light silicone grease, and kept operating the mechanism. It’s not perfect, it hesitates occasionally but does not jam.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:35 pm

from what I remember from when having cleaned one up, I believe there is an adjustable stop of sort that can be screwed or unscrewed from the opposit side of the turnolock button (the purpose of which being if there is not enough play, the hook mechanism won't be able to lock in the next position when pressing). I must say I have not a clear memory of the complete operation, fiddly it seemed and based on the spring rate of ageing plastic parts... plus lubrication of plastic must be done properly so that it does not glue it in place rather...

good luck !
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:36 pm

Thanks,

I found that adjuster, and having tried various settings it is now back where it started. I chose a silicone lubricant after looking at a materials compatibility chart. I don’t know what plastic was used, but silicone lubricant seems to be compatible with more plastic than any other lubricant, so fingers crossed.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: