Starter Motor (Again!)

PostPost by: fatal3rror » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:29 pm

This might be one of the most asked questions but I couldn’t find any recent threads so posing the question again. Hope this is alright!

With issues on the bendix and a broken mounting point of my current inertia Lucas starter motor, I am looking to replace this, so looking for suggestions on what would be the best replacement. I am not looking to spend megabucks on a Brise so hoping to get:
A) Either a good new/refurb inertia motor
B) A reasonably priced pre-engaged motor (< £200)

Any recommendations for the above with sources please?
fatal3rror
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:10 pm

look at Powerlite website. They have one specially for the Elan. I believe now also sold by Paul Matty.
Two screws and one wire to fit it.
Regular readers will know that I have said this many times before.
Eric in Burnley
S3 SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fatal3rror » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:18 pm

ericbushby wrote:look at Powerlite website. They have one specially for the Elan. I believe now also sold by Paul Matty.
Two screws and one wire to fit it.
Regular readers will know that I have said this many times before.
Eric in Burnley
S3 SE DHC

Thanks Eric, I will check them out.
fatal3rror
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:02 pm

Just checked it.
Model No RAC 472, nine teeth
It`s been on there 6 years now.
Eric
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:57 pm

I’ll second that suggestion! It is almost a no brainer to fit a pre-engaged one.
The nine teeth on the gear is important (AES sell the same starter and ask you to specify nine or ten teeth)
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:42 am

fatal3rror wrote:This might be one of the most asked questions but I couldn’t find any recent threads so posing the question again. Hope this is alright!

With issues on the bendix and a broken mounting point of my current inertia Lucas starter motor, I am looking to replace this, so looking for suggestions on what would be the best replacement. I am not looking to spend megabucks on a Brise so hoping to get:
A) Either a good new/refurb inertia motor
B) A reasonably priced pre-engaged motor (< £200)

Any recommendations for the above with sources please?

RE:
A) Either a good new/refurb inertia motor - The only refurbished Lucas starters that were any good are the genuine Lucas rebuilt starters. Most rebuilders could care less about shaft or bushing wear or condition of the commutator.

B) Pre-engaged - The Denso based starters with the adjustable adapter heads work well and last a long time. Mine lasted 20 years of cold cranking for oil pressure before I lit the motor off.

Make sure your all your electrical connections are clean and well made.

Regards,
Dan
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:58 am

Hi fatal3error,
i would suggest get another Endplate that's not cracked from a secondhand Lucas Starter, fit new Oil Lite Bush + new Bendix and it will be good for another 20 years.
With respect i would think the last repair was not 100% and maybe the End Plate was already cracked or bent. Also nice new Spring Washers fitted under the Bolt Heads.
You can find very easy a secondhand Lucas Starter from a mini, austin, ford cortina etc.
Also make sure the Sandwich Plate between Engine and Gearbox is there and not damaged. This cenralises the Starter.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fatal3rror » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:46 pm

Spoke to Sue Miller this morning and it seems that she still sells a number of inertia starters and most of them seem to hold up well. One would think otherwise reading the forums. I have decided to stick with the original for now and see how it goes.

Great point about the sandwich plate which was indeed missing on my car - now ordered and will be replaced!
fatal3rror
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:51 am

Incorrect clearance between pinion at rest and ring gear is a contributing factor to issues...

out of mesh clearance.PNG and
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:10 am

Hi FatalError,
i am happy to help. If it is set up correctly you will not have a problem.
Many times over the years Starters have become loose and Sandwich Plates thrown away and bodged.
Just take care NO burrs NO damage.
Good luck
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fatal3rror » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:05 pm

New starter in and sandwich plate fixed. Car runs like a dream now!
fatal3rror
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:57 am

So was that a 'new' inertia starter or a Powerlite?

I'm still on the original Lucas and haven't had any problems. With sound wiring-earth and a healthy battery it spins the engine nicely.
I expect electronic ignition and ballast coil help with starting but I've never felt need to change.
To be fair the car was off road waiting for repair for a long time so I can't say daily use for 50 years :)

If it does pack up I might be inclined to go Powerlite purely because inertia starters are so dam heavy to lift in - which I accept is a pretty poor excuse :)
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fatal3rror » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:58 am

MarkDa wrote:So was that a 'new' inertia starter or a Powerlite?

I'm still on the original Lucas and haven't had any problems. With sound wiring-earth and a healthy battery it spins the engine nicely.
I expect electronic ignition and ballast coil help with starting but I've never felt need to change.
To be fair the car was off road waiting for repair for a long time so I can't say daily use for 50 years :)

If it does pack up I might be inclined to go Powerlite purely because inertia starters are so dam heavy to lift in - which I accept is a pretty poor excuse :)

I ended up going for a new starter motor procured from Sue Miller. I discussed it with her and while the forums seem to indicate that pre-engaged motors are the way to go, she seems to sell a number of intertia motors and hasn’t had any major complaints thus far. Agree about the weight though but I did not want to spend 3 times the price without at least giving another intertia motor a chance!
fatal3rror
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:05 pm

Hi Fatal3rror,
well done young man stay with Lucas set up as original good for 20 years+
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sploder90 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:33 pm

I got a WOSP starter from TTR a lot easier and lighter to fit & turns over a treat. Even easier to get to the upper bolt.
If you need a motor while you are awaiting delivery from Sue I have the one that came of mine that I can lend you to try. Was working when it came off and has been boxed up under the bench since last year.

Not far away from you in extra locked down Huddersfield part of the new Kirklees, Calderdale & NW England super Leper colony.
Although heavy I can probably throw it to you within the social distancing rules or meet in a pub :lol:

Edit. Just read the rest of the thread and look that you are already sorted.. I really should get on here more often instead of being in the garage getting grubby :D

Mel
S3 DHC
Last edited by Sploder90 on Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sploder90
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: