Lotus Elan

horn S4

PostPost by: milton » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:29 pm

20190629_213030.jpg and
20190629_212507.jpg and
My car came with air horns operated by a switch on the dash. I have the steering column out of the car and would like to use the original horn push to operate the horn rather than a switch. I am presuming that the return from the relay (purple/black lead) goes to earth through the steering column when the horn button is pressed. I've connected a multimeter to the end of the steering column and to the purple/black lead on the back of the steering wheel. When I press the horn the circuit is not completed. The brass terminal on the rear of the horn push does no appear to be connected to anything in side the boss. I am wondering if a part is missing from the boss. If someone could post a photo of the interior of the boss I would be most grateful. It could be that I've misunderstood the wiring.
milton
New-tral

PostPost by: Pastapesto » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:44 pm

Hello

You need the " horn pencil" or at least that's what I know it by......all the usual suspects have them....it is basically a clear plastic tube with a brass contact at each end & to connect the brass ends/contacts there is a spring between them which allows the contacts to be in constant pressure with the brass contact on the horn push & the brass ring that fits inside the steering column that sits under the steering wheel. You will also need to make sure you have the little wire "bridge" that earths accross the steering joint at the bottom of the column & also that the steering rack has an earth connected to it.....

Hope that helps......I will now go & try to fin a diagram for you.....

A
Pastapesto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Pastapesto » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:55 pm

This is from RDents website.....I hope Ray is ok with me posting it here ......if you have not been to Ray's site it is worth a look ....he has some very interesting things on there & is a great guy.....www.rdent.com......

Not sure if this will work but if it does, the part you require is No. 17.....
Attachments
image.png and
Pastapesto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: milton » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:38 pm

Pastapesto wrote:Hello

You need the " horn pencil" or at least that's what I know it by......all the usual suspects have them....it is basically a clear plastic tube with a brass contact at each end & to connect the brass ends/contacts there is a spring between them which allows the contacts to be in constant pressure with the brass contact on the horn push & the brass ring that fits inside the steering column that sits under the steering wheel. You will also need to make sure you have the little wire "bridge" that earths accross the steering joint at the bottom of the column & also that the steering rack has an earth connected to it.....

Hope that helps......I will now go & try to fin a diagram for you.....

A

Many thanks, I've ordered one from ebay.
milton
New-tral

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:11 pm

These were used on several different vehicles, make sure you order the right one for the Elan as the lengths vary depending on the application.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: