Elan S4 Rev Counter

PostPost by: Gordon » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:24 pm

Just purchased an S4 and it has been converted to an electronic ignition, as a result the rev counter does not work. Does anything exist that can enable the original rev counter to work with the new electronics? Thanks Gordon
Gordon
New-tral

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:30 pm

For me on my Sprint i have taken the easy way. Fit "simonbloc" hall effect inside the dissy to replace points and condenser about ?30. Check to see if the Coil is min of 3ohms. Everything including Revcounter works 100%.

You could sell the Electronic Ignition for more than the price of the "simonbloc" = problem solved :wink:
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:14 pm

https://www.spiyda.com/smiths-rvi-rvc-c ... board.html

Be careful with Powerspark ignitions, they are Chinese PERTRONIX knock off's so can be a bit hit and miss........ after a number of issues with them i switched to lumenition magnetronic and not had a problem since.

If it was me i'd fit a set of points and see if the Revcounter worked, if it does do a search which Ignitions are compatible, if it doesn't work then fit a Spiyda kit which replaces the main board etc which should get it working (with any type of Ignition too)
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:58 pm

The problem is nearly everything has china bits inside.
With the "simonbloc" some people don't check to see if the Coil they use is min 3ohms resistance :shock:
The good thing is the rest of the car stays original and you can go back to points if you want to.
Another favorite thing is to fit "Cooper S" heavy duty points and maybe a Condenser from Distributor Docteur.
The last china condenser lasted 80 kms in my car and that's why i fitted "simonbloc" 6 years ago and no problems since.
For sure whatever you choose to do is a personal choice.

good luck with what system you choose

Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 2sheds+1 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:53 pm

I have this that was converted for me by Spyder Engineering but never used
Open to offers

Tony
Attachments
image.jpeg and
image.jpeg and
2sheds+1
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:00 pm

Gordon
Are you Neg or Pos earth?
I've a RVI 2434/00 that was on my plus2 , had the same problem as you so fitted a Mondeo internals in it and it worked a treat...recently sold the car with carbs re-fitted..

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: LI-599 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:48 am

Hi Gordon, I have Accuspark on my S4 and rev counter still works.
Ian
LI-599
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:02 pm

There are typically three issues with fitting electronic ignition of any sort and the original current sensing original tacho.

1. People wire the electronic ignition power supply to the coil positive as shown in the manufacturers wiring diagram. This may result in extra current pulses that upset the tacho

2. The electronic system itself generates different shaped current pulses from the points system and these may be detected differently or not at all by the original tachos very basic electronics circuit even if in good condition

3. The original tacho electronics have failed or were marginal and the change has made them not work. The capacitors in the original tacho circuit are typically the point of failure

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: