Battery replacement options

PostPost by: PhilatHooton » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:21 am

Fellow enthusiasts,

The standard battery is designated a 038 / 015 but what are the thoughts on putting something stronger ,especially as regards CCA in as long as it fits the boot space comfortably (135 cm width.) eg .

https://www.tayna.co.uk/DA45L-Duracell- ... P9542.html

Regards
PhilatHooton
New-tral

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:19 am

Phil

I have recently fitted a 075 Battery to my +2 , (Varta D21, 61A, CCA600, 242x175x175mm) as the new battery was a few mm wider than the well of the battery containment I filled the well with a wooden board to bring the base level to that of the boot floor adjacent. Removed the boot wall retaining tab and fitted it a little higher to suit.
The board I installed had an oval cut out in it to allow the use of the original clamp suitably flattened in a vice.

This battery is excellent and turns the engine over great, I am well pleased :D as the original 45A batteries were useless :(

You do not say what car you have is the elan the same as the +2 arrangement?

John
Attachments
dsc03443.jpg and
fitted with the original clamp modified
dsc03442.jpg and
dsc03441.jpg and
the Varta
dsc03439.jpg and
the board showing the access to the clamping boss
dsc03438.jpg and
dsc03437.jpg and
the board thickness to suit depth of well
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:32 pm

I have an Odysee Extreme 40, 1100 cca. Its a beast and fits in nice as its smaller too.
Attachments
20170315_160927.jpg and
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: PhilatHooton » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:31 pm

John, thanks for your prompt and informative reply..

I have a +2s130. I like what you've done and with the dimensions of the battery you used with a low height of 175 mm i presume the boot base boards clear the battery top without modification. i must confess that i've had the car decades but never had the battery bolted down as it sits on some felt and is such a snug fit barely moves.
.I may have to rig up a clamp though if i follow your route.

No problems keeping the battery charged with the standard alternator ?

Phil
PhilatHooton
New-tral

PostPost by: PhilatHooton » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:35 pm

Paul,

Thanks for you reply but it's somewhat above my budget though as you say a serious bit of kit. :)

Where does that other earth lead that runs up beside the live go to ?

Phil
PhilatHooton
New-tral

PostPost by: pauljones » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:49 pm

It goes direct to engine bay to form an earthed curcuit,
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:19 pm

Vince

Yes the boot floor fits ok and has in fact more space than the previous battery.
The reason I wanted to fit the 075 battery is that they are plentiful and at a reasonable price. All batteries deteriorate in time especially in little used classics.
As regards the alternator mine is a 45A Lucas A115 unit and charges the battery fine.

PM me if you require any more info
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jeff jackson » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:13 pm

I have fiited a Bosch S5 660 CCA battery in my plus 2.
Before anyone asks, no, you are right it is too big to go in. I cut a very small 2" wide hole in the boot floor and then reglassed over to make room for the battery.
Shedloads of power, especially when the car has been sat a while, infinetly better than the 038 Mini battery that was the original.
I paid around ?60 at the time as the battery was on offer, I think they are around the ?80 mark now?

Regards
Jeff 72 +2
jeff jackson
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:21 am

pauljones wrote:It goes direct to engine bay to form an earthed curcuit,

While there is nothing wrong with running an additional lead in parallel to the metal frame, it won't make much difference. Steel has a higher resistance than copper, but the cross sectional area of the frame is much greater than the cross sectional area of the copper cable.

ACBC would be rolling in his grave at the weight and cost of an additional cable when the frame can (in time honoured Lotus tradition) can be asked to do two jobs - keep the wheels apart, and be an earth return for the electrical system.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:33 am

I apreciate your coments Andy. Its working better than ever now its fitted. Also im saving weight by fitting the Battery, so im sure its all in ballance.

More a peice of mind item that's doing a great job
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: PhilatHooton » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:36 pm

Hawksfield wrote:Phil

I have recently fitted a 075 Battery to my +2 , (Varta D21, 61A, CCA600, 242x175x175mm) as the new battery was a few mm wider than the well of the battery containment I filled the well with a wooden board to bring the base level to that of the boot floor adjacent. Removed the boot wall retaining tab and fitted it a little higher to suit.
The board I installed had an oval cut out in it to allow the use of the original clamp suitably flattened in a vice.

This battery is excellent and turns the engine over great, I am well pleased :D as the original 45A batteries were useless :(

You do not say what car you have is the elan the same as the +2 arrangement?

John

John,
I have followed your option and fitted an identical battery.It was the most powerful one for its size,was great value from Tanya Batteries and comes with a 5 year warranty. I made a wooden base to raise the battery to sit flat in its position with a lip to help hold it in place. It fits a treat. Did not have to alter the height of the boot base boards or back panel. Should have done this years ago. Car starts instantly. Thanks again for your info.
Phil
PhilatHooton
New-tral

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:38 am

FWIW, in the S3 Elan that I race(d), I have a Varley red top battery in the bottom of the passenger's footwell. The battery is tiny, and makes very little difference to the space available for feet.

It has a number of advantages. It saves weight in of itself, the cable to the starter is very much shorter - saving weight and having lower resistance, and it reduces the polar moment of inertia of the car.

I have seen it suggested that having the battery in its standard position improves weight distribution. Putting something heavy in the corner of the car is never a great idea from a handling perspective, ideally it should be in the middle of the car and as low as possible. The passenger's footwell isn't a bad compromise.

Probably not a great idea from a road going perspective, but when I finally get around to restoring my Sprint I guess battery technology will have moved even further. I have seen that LiFePo4 batteries now being used - which are even smaller and lighter than the racing battery I have.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ElanDNA » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:16 am

Andy8421 wrote: The passenger's footwell isn't a bad compromise.

Probably not a great idea from a road going perspective, but when I finally get around to restoring my Sprint I guess battery technology will have moved even further. I have seen that LiFePo4 batteries now being used - which are even smaller and lighter than the racing battery I have.

Hi Andy
My LiFePo4 batterie works perfect.
p230915.jpg and

See here:http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/lotuselan-plus2-f51/lithium-batteries-t38812.html
Urs
ElanDNA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:33 pm

Found to my horror yesterday, that I had let my battery run down over the winter to just 1.2 volts, a tenth of what it should be. And it was a relatively new battery!

Put it on charge overnight and was pleased to find my Elan started relatively easily today, so it seems it was not damaged.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RedBarnMan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:33 pm

You were lucky to be able to recover the battery. I've found that the newer Calcium batteries do not like being allowed to go flat (or even below 10 volts) and may not recover with a normal charger. The battery makers thinking seems to be that CCA or maximum starting current is the real deal now rather than the Amp hour capacity as modern batteries are only needed to start the car. When running, the alternator takes care of all the electrical loads and still has enough spare even at low speeds to quickly recharge the battery. Hence the battery should always be fully charged. This is not the case with dynamo cars where the electrical load can significantly exceed the dynamo output especially when driving with lights, heater and wipers on in slow traffic. The result is that after a run the battery may well have a lower charge level than when you started out. A permanent trickle charger once back in the garage is essential if not using the car regularly. By the way look at the T&C's on battery warranties - they are often very limited and almost worthless in practice. Halfords batteries used to be made by Yuasa, not sure who makes them now. I've just gone for an Exide Excell range battery for my +2S130 Only time will tell if it is any better than the old Halfords unit or cheapo Lion brand battery in another classic.
RedBarnMan
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: