No spark until key is released

PostPost by: stugilmour » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:20 pm

elancoupe wrote:...The key to me fixing mine was the spark when the ignition was released. This made me think that the ignition switch was the problem, and indeed, a new switch cured the ills.

Welcome to the forum.

Without reviewing all of this thread, the ignition switch would be absolutely where I would start. I had the same issue (ie there was no spark in start, but good spark in run) and a replacement key switch fixed it. Basically the car would crank fine but only fire as soon as the key was released from the spring loaded start setting to the run setting. I assume this is the issue the original poster was having?

Is that the issue you are having? If so you can easily jump power to the ignition system during start to see if it resolves the issue prior to buying a new key switch or cleaning your original.

In any case, a replacement switch is not that expensive and readily available....

Ignition Switch
Dash-mounted ignition switch as originally fitted to early cars (without locking steering column). Can also be installed as a replacement for any car. This replacement switch includes a new lock cylinder with keys.

Ref. 36B6015R Ignition Switch $29.00

580A5454-4794-4EBF-B12B-E38017F3E030.jpeg
580A5454-4794-4EBF-B12B-E38017F3E030.jpeg (28.69 KiB) Viewed 236 times

HTH
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: