Heater cable stuck

PostPost by: persiflage » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:57 pm

" Hurts like heck !

Then you can see and reach up to the instruments. "

That was twenty years ago .... Now it hurts twice as much and I can't get my head far enough away to actually focus on anything behind the dash :(
persiflage
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:25 am

billwill wrote:Then lie on your back on the floor of the Elan face up with your legs outside or up against the rear screen (easier on an open car).

Hurts like heck ! :o

Or get a Plus 2! I'm a big tall fella and I've got plenty of room to stretch out on the floor with the seats out. :mrgreen:
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:11 am

billwill wrote:What I meant was if you mount the stabalizer on the tacho, you can reach through the speedo hole to do up the securing nut.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To mount/fix things behind the dash later. Remove the knee trim and the seat. Open the door wide. Get a lamp which can sit on the floor shining upwards.

Then lie on your back on the floor of the Elan face up with your legs outside or up againt the rear screen (easier on an open car).

Hurts like heck ! :o

Then you can see and reach up to the instruments. :?

Known as th Lotus position. Works for Elans, Europas, Elises, Etcetera....
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:54 am

I found that I had to have a couple of different strength reader glasses in the garage for working under a dash or for other close up work. One pair is used on the welding bench when using the TIG welder. Now if I could just bend like used to............without getting a cramp..........
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Terry L » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:41 am

I ended up using the "hurts like heck" position, leaving the seat in, and eventually got the speedo in. The comments on close vision are all appreciated.

Getting the grommets installed in the firewall round the cables looks challenging but I'll get it. The engine starts but I must have jostled something in the ignition switch because the red ignition light sometimes lights up and sometimes not.

Of more concern is the new choke cable. Without the twist to hold feature, the choke promptly closes from the pull of the spring load from the carburetors. Am I missing something? Did I get the wrong part?

The temp gauge, which seemed accurate before it was removed, now sits at 90 degrees when the engine is cold. There seems to be nothing mechanical or electrical to go wrong. Ideas?

Thanks all.
Terry L
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:32 am

The temp gauge relies on ether (?) gas as an internal element.
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:04 pm

I hope you didn't twist the capilliary tube when removing the temperature gauge. There is very little leeway on that.

Excess twisting could cause a hairline crack in the solder or in the tube near the bulb, letting the ether gas/liquid out. It is then a very difficult self repair or take it all out and send to say Speedy Cables for a repair & renovate.

I haven't fully sorted mine out yet despite several years.

My trials & tribulations with the temperature gauge are detailed in my long topic, starting here:
lotus-elan-f19/getting-ogu-roadworthy-again-t26101-15.html#p172491
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Terry L » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:21 am

I'm sure that the lost ether hypothesis is correct, because I fiddled with the connection before I decided that it was not separable. So now I need to remove the gauge again. Is there an electronic substitute in case there is no US shop to fix it?
Terry L
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:12 am

Terry L wrote:I'm sure that the lost ether hypothesis is correct, because I fiddled with the connection before I decided that it was not separable. So now I need to remove the gauge again. Is there an electronic substitute in case there is no US shop to fix it?

No readily available substitute, but you could try fitting the equivalent from a Plus 2, which has an electric temperature guage.

In those messages on my long topic there is a link to a web page that describes fixing the ether bulb by buying a non-vintage one and transferring the bulb to your Elan gauge. It describes how to do it without losing the ether.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Terry L » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:29 am

I have read the description of how to adapt the bulb and tubing from a generic unit to the Lotus gauge. The odds on me getting that to work are so low that I want to consider all other alternatives first.
Terry L
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:50 pm

Plenty of US gauge rebuilders. Nisonger and Palo Alato probably the most known.

Kurt.
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Terry L » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:32 am

Gauge is going to Nisonger tomorrow. Price is $179 plus shipping. He sounded like this is every day for him. Thanks, all.
Terry L
First Gear
First Gear

Previous

Total Online: