Where is the security/alarm switch mounted in the Glove box?

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:57 pm

Thanks to Bloodknock I have a brand new security switch for my elan, but as my car had a new Glovebox fitted I do not have a clue where abouts in the glovebox the switch is meant to be mounted. :roll:

I've searched high & low here & can't find anything; Anyone have a picture, or can describe where the switch is mounted?

TIA & Merry Christmas to all
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:32 pm

Phil,

There should be a small rectangular hole for the slide switch in the left hand wall, top, back of the glovebox (LHD car, glovebox on the right!). And a small round hole either side of it for the mounting screws.

Surprisingly I think that fitting it with the glovebox in place is probably possible. The mounting holes in your switch should be threaded, so it's just a matter of getting the switch in place (ha!) and then putting some small bolts through the glovebox wall into the switch holes. If the holes are not threaded you'll need to tape some nuts to the back of them first. Wiring it into the ignition circuit, or anything else, of course, could be a different matter.....

As we all know, there's never a dull moment behind the dashboard! ;-)

Nick
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:20 pm

Phil fit the switch for originality purposes if you must but for gawds sake don't wire it in. They are notoriously unreliable and will eventually introduce some issues you never had before.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:30 pm

This should help.
Attachments
dsc07271.jpg and
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:04 am

Greg's is clearly a nice, original, fuzzy box, with the switch riveted in place.

Mine is all from Sue Miller, glovebox, blind rear grommet, and switch (held by a couple of Allen screws into threaded holes in the switch).

Nick

elan-security-switch.jpg and
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:11 am

Thanks guys, all the info I need & Steve, I hear you...
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: