1969 plus 2 horn assembly problem

PostPost by: Mjnboys » Mon May 18, 2015 7:40 pm

Hi,I need some help. My restoration is going well a few more weeks should get her to MOT!
I am having difficulty working out how the horn push assembly works. I have a new horn ring and understand that it operates via an earth, but I can't work out how it all fits back onto the steering assembly. It slides over the shaft but just wobbles about, it looks like I am missing another part??? Does anyone have a diagram or drawing that might help me?
Thank you

David :shock:
Mjnboys
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Mon May 18, 2015 9:00 pm

If you've got the large boss steering wheel this should help:

lotus-suspension-f42/steering-wheel-centre-and-badge-t34033.html
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TonyL » Tue May 19, 2015 12:59 am

I had a similar problem. I was about to order several parts when I discovered the horn button was on the end of the turn indicator stalk! Pushed it and after a 24 year slumber the horn came to life and honked. My car is a nonfederal 1969 Plus 2S. I dont know which cars had standard horn buttons.
TonyL
New-tral

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Tue May 19, 2015 6:56 am

That's pretty much the funniest thing I've heard this week, Tony!

But it must have sounded (and felt) mighty good!!! :mrgreen:

Congrats,

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Tue May 19, 2015 5:44 pm

Currently quite familiar with the +2 horn as I've had to fix multiple faults (of my own creation) on in. I don't have a standard steering wheel thou.

The metal ring clamps to a plastic piece that slides over the column and fits into the column surround. Sounds like you might be missing the plastic piece.

I think this a TR6 part and photo of the rear can be seen at:
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-608462

The horn works by using the steering column as an earth source (normally for a relay). So the ring is connect to the earth connection on the horn/relay. Pushing the horn button connect the ring to ground via the erring column. Completing the circuit and sounding the horn.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tcsoar » Wed May 20, 2015 1:32 pm

David,

Try this link for a parts diagram, http://www.rdent.com/manuals/index.html, a very useful site.

The part mbell mentions is no.17 on the steering column diagram, can't remember how its fixed but have my steering wheel off at the moment so will try and have a look tonight.

Once it is in place the steering wheel is fitted and you need to fit the 'horn pencil' (item 21) to connect the horn ring to the horn push.

Chris.
tcsoar
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed May 20, 2015 6:30 pm

tcsoar wrote:The part mbell mentions is no.17 on the steering column diagram, can't remember how its fixed but have my steering wheel off at the moment so will try and have a look tonight.

Its fixed by bending tabs on the column surround to hold it in place. The metal disc is fixed to the plastic backing by bending tabs around the plastic.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Wed May 20, 2015 7:30 pm

Do not forget to ground the rack. If my memory is correct there is an earth wire attached under the grease fitting or bolt, which ever is there, and the other end of the ground wire is secured under the mount to chassis nut.

Its been a long time. My TVR has a similar arrangement.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tcsoar » Wed May 20, 2015 9:17 pm

Just been to check my car and it fits exactly as mbell describes, in fact when looking at mine I noticed that only two of the four tabs have been used, the other two are so straight I don't think they have ever been used.

Chris.
tcsoar
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: oillite » Thu May 21, 2015 11:46 am

My car has the early mk2 Cortina set up with the horn button in the of the indicator stalk but with a bit of ingenuity I have got the steering wheel centre one to operate as well.
Now got two hooter buttons, :P
oillite
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: tcsoar » Thu May 21, 2015 2:49 pm

mmmmmm nice, a pair of hooters :mrgreen:
tcsoar
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Thu May 21, 2015 7:31 pm

rdssdi wrote:Do not forget to ground the rack.
Bob

And don't forget the jumper (not the sweater type) around the steering column flex joint if you are still running the one with the rubber joint.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mjnboys » Fri May 22, 2015 7:20 am

Thanks everyone.

I appear to have the original type of horn push, without the pencil.

I followed the link to an old post and this seems to be the same as mine,

This is a line copied across
"The moveable ring is attached to the underside of the horn push and is supported on three sprung and electrically insulated legs"

So, with that in mind I seem to be missing the insulated legs, does anyone have a picture or a part number!!!

Thanks again for everyone's help
Mjnboys
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Fri May 22, 2015 6:36 pm

What steering wheel/boss do you have?

I think the standard ones have a single pencil type thing but the unmarked boss for my none-standard "Mountany" wheel has something that sounds like what you are talking about. I don't have a picture of it but basically looks like the plastic piece they sometimes put in a pizza box to stop the top getting crushed on.

A photo or two of the set up in your car would help us clarify...
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: