starter motor - sorry bit of a story

PostPost by: Ennva » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:40 pm

All,

Many thanks for the help on ignition systems, it may seem that sometimes the technical answer forgets the basics, that being does it have enough juice, or should that be amps to go. I have replaced the battery which also shows a good charge, however the car will only start by being jumped by my trusty grand picasso, after it has been running it will start on the key, however i believe that is due to heat gain. The original chap who rebuilt her with my father seems to think the starter is worn, therby pulling to many amps on starting which would expalin why lumenition, accuspark and points would not work. Before i go and buy a new starter does anyone have any thoughts on this......

many thanks

David
Ennva
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:56 pm

It starts ok if you jump it but not with its own new battery - is that right?

Have you checked - 1 the main earths and cable connections. 2. the starter brushes, bearings and general condition 3. you bought the right spec new battery.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ennva » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:34 pm

69s4,

thanks for the prompt reply, working on point 2, what would you suggest as never touched a starter motor before.
Ennva
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:26 pm

battery earth where bolted to chassis needs cleaning :wink:
Alan.B
alan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:57 pm

Put a voltmeter across the battery terminals while cranking and compare the voltage to when you have the second battery in parallel, that will tell you if the starter is pulling too much current.

You can also look at the headlights dimming to get a general idea.

Try cranking the engine with the ignition disabled (remove rotor arm or coil LT leads) if it cranks significantly faster your problem is the static ignition advance.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: