Elan Radio Reception Advice

PostPost by: Robzildjian » Fri May 30, 2014 6:01 pm

All,

Used copper tape from 3M as a ground plane under rear wing. A big cross with the aerial going through the centre. This Made a big improvement. Excellent reception on most fm channels now. I highly recommend this. Thanks for the advice guys.
Robzildjian
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:41 pm

Thanks for posting Rob. Going to give that method a try. Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Keith Scarfe » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:44 am

Do post back how it works Stu wont you as I might try this too. Does the tape stick up under the wing then onto the bare fibreglass. How well does it stick? I can see it all falling off in a few months what with all the oil/exhaust/petrol fumes in the boot.
Was This the sort of tape you used? : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131110430226?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
If not where did you get it from? Which 3m part number do you have as there a re a few. Also on that Ebay are cheaper versions for repelling slugs!?!?! I wonder if this would work the same?
I might actually try the thin metal plate version, except the problem would be that aerial hole is sort of recessed up compared to the lip for the hood tray etc so I don't know how I would form it over these shapes.
Worth a try though.
Cheers.
Keith.
Keith Scarfe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:33 pm

Hey Rob and Keith, fixed this up today and it worked! Both AM and FM reception WAY better, and less static. A few points I picked up from Dr. Google and my earlier failed effort...

• I used aluminum foil tape, as that is what I had to hand. You can get the stuff at home improvement stores in the heating duct section.
  • The tape is very sticky; no problem sticking to my fibreglass. If having difficulty sticking it down, clean the 'glass with Windex or similar.
  • The legs of the ground plane are ideally a minimum of 1/4 wavelength long. This is about 2.2 to 2.6 feet long for the FM band. http://www.qsl.net/w4sat/gndplane.htm This is pretty close to the height of my aftermarket fixed length antenna, probably by design.
  • The big cross shape Rob mentioned is the way to go. My previous effort was way to small and I was trying for a rectangular shape, which is not required and more hassle.
  • Aluminum tape can't be soldered to like the copper foil tape. I used a self tapping screw into the stanchion base of the antenna as an attachment point for the ground wire.
  • Can't speak for the 3M copper foil tape, but it seems the aluminum foil tape I used can have continuity issues when you join the tape. I expect the tape glue is not conductive. This is easily mitigated by using short lengths of tape at each joint or seam, Fold over both edges of tape about 1/8" and stick it down; the edges will conduct fine between the pieces of tape. I checked continuity with my ohm meter and my previous effort had this issue.
  • On my Plus 2 the antenna is located on the right rear fender about 2" or so behind the trunk lid shut line. As Rob mentions, this pretty much fits a big cross with a run of tape in front of the lid shut line, a shorter leg down the right fender wall to the carpet, a long leg toward the right tail light, and a shorter leg forward by the rear speaker on the parcel shelf. I suppose all legs are not the 'ideal' length, but the reception is very much improved.
  • The guitar builders use both copper and aluminum tape for shielding the pickup well; Dr. Google returns a lot of info on this. Here is a link with some opinions on Copper vs. Aluminum. http://www.tonesecret.com/?p=1455
  • The guitar builder sites list copper tape that has conductive glue if that floats your boat. I am leaving mine with the aluminum tape i have in place.

HTH Really enjoying FM again!

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Keith Scarfe » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:57 pm

Wow OK so it does work. I will defo have a go then. Any chance of a photo of how you did it and what it looks like now up under there.
Thanks.
Keith.
Keith Scarfe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:43 pm

Tried pictures but they were not very clear. This picture shows the antenna and the rough location of the tape strips. The rectangular shape around the antenna is my first effort, which wasn't effective. On my Plus 2 the two longer tape strips ended up longer than 2.6 feet, the other two somewhat shorter.

HTH

Stu
Attachments
Antenna ground diagram.jpg and
Shows the ground plane configuration. Made from aluminum foil tape. Special attention required to make sure the tape pieces are electrically connected with one another, and antenna stanchion connected to ground plane.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robzildjian » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:29 pm

Stu,

Thanks for the diagram. That has help me add a little more copper tape under the parcel shelf. Just to be sure! It works really well. I would recommend also connect the aerial earth wire to the earth in the bottom of the boot. This has also helped.

Thanks for all the tips and advice all,

Rob
Robzildjian
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gus » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:16 am

I will try the ground plane, but my reception is ok, just noise, mostly alternator, needed to make a filter for it.

Yeah, and I have about 50 cds worth of music on sd cards so fm is only occasional
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: