How to make a 40953 distributor out of a federal 41225

PostPost by: terryp » Thu May 15, 2014 5:57 pm

I have been trying to de"federal"ise my car so I needed to source a distributor. Basically I looked on eBay and looked at the Accuspark curves and nothing seemed correct. I also didn't want to spend upwards of ?180
So I contacted Martin from distributor doctor and he was able to sell me the springs (14.50 + vat). The weights are the same so thats OK so that leaves the cam. I think he has the cams but he won't sell them :( . But there is another way, you can either file the lobe on your cam (Rohan I promise to use a file rather than an angle grinder) or you can use this.... http://www.starchak.ca/tech/pdfs/lucas.pdf to find any 23/25D distributor with a 12 degree advance and then search on eBay for the part number for that distributor. A typical is a 41148 for a Morris Minor. I bought mine for ?8 + post.
You can also file the cam as per this http://www.starchak.ca/tech/pdfs/lucastuning.pdf
Anyway once everything has arrived my 41225 should be as a 40953. :-)
Then to fit electronic Lumenition and then we will be flying :D

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Fri May 16, 2014 6:29 am

By cams do you mean the bob weights that fly out rather than the square bit that knocks the points open? I had to take the diy route with the bob weights after Distributor Dr wouldn't sell me either the weights or the springs but wanted to rebuild the (virtualy new) complete unit or nothing. You must be a lot more persuasive than me.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Fri May 16, 2014 6:38 am

Stuart - its the projection on the plate at the bottom of the cam that activates the points and sets the maximum advance, if you see what I mean
one like this:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-Lucas-Dis ... 4d138926b0

He defiinately didn't want to sell me one but was OK with the springs , having said that if I had a pile of springs that there is probably only 10 or so types I would sell them for ?14.50 per set! :D

I just have to cross my fingers my DIY route works

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Fri May 16, 2014 10:18 am

Terry, this is great stuff and should be very encouraging for the home tuner.
It could be very interesting to a lot of US owners of Elans and TC Europas who want to put back lost performance.
Needless to say, replacing springs and modifying cams will only make sense if the rest of the distributor is in good shape, by which I mean the main shaft bearings, the fit between shaft and cam, and between bob weights and their pivots. Sadly I have 2 distributors that have significant sideplay in the bearings and the rest rattles around to such an extent that replacement distributors made most sense, though if you want originality there are rebuilders who can fix those problems.
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan » Fri May 16, 2014 11:59 am

i seem to remember information in a book written by Clive Trickey about tuning Minis and he spoke of using a Lucas Dizzy from a Ferguson Tracter because the Dizzy had needle roller bearing. No wear!!
Can someone confirm this? :?:
Alan.B
alan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Tue May 27, 2014 5:28 pm

This has turned out to be a big more complicated. Against a lot of web info and other posts on here the weights appear to be matched with the cams.
Luckily my donor distributor has the correct weights as per Brian's post here
lotus-electrical-f38/40953-distributor-springs-which-way-round-t31443.html
The weights that were in my 41225 are these.....
image.jpg and
41225 weights

They seem to be more pointy and restrict the advance as they do not move as much. My 12 degree cam wouldn't fully advance?
Anyway all assembled in the car and working. I've ordered a new xenon timing light as my old Gunson was struggling to set it exact

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: