Aldon Ignition unit

PostPost by: au-yt » Sun May 11, 2014 10:44 am

In the process of re-commissioning my Elan Sprint I had power and ignition switched on checking that the electric fan now blows backwards through the radiator not forward!!!! how long its been like that is any ones guess but I recon 42years!
I spotted a wisp of smoke coming from the engine bay under the carbs.not good
The Engine is fitted with a Aldon Ignition unit LU-142A now sold as PerTronix LU-142A Ignitor for Lucas 25D 4 Cylinder.
Sold in Australia
http://www.pertronix.com.au/?gclid=COzY ... vQodA2IA7w

Investigating I found what I think is the ballast resistor on the positive side of the coil was the origin of the smoke.
It was very hot. I have the Installation instructions, does any one else have experience with this ignition unit?

I am tempted to replace the unit with something that doesn't present a fire hazard, any thoughts there please
Regards
Graeme
Attachments
Coil1.JPG and
LOTUS Evora 400
Ginetta G27 S2
66 one-off 2.6Ltr v8 Mid-engine Berlinetta Coupe........... in restoration
..................................................Age doesn't matter unless you are a cheese................................................
au-yt
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun May 11, 2014 1:03 pm

Ignition coil and ballast resistor can get very hot if you switch ignition on without starting the engine. BAD IDEA!

If the points happen to be closed (or electronic equivalent) you get continuous current instead of the short pulses that occur when the engine is running.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldchieft » Sun May 11, 2014 1:31 pm

Also any oil mist that builds up on the resistor can make a lot of smoke for very little oil.

If it smells like burnt oil and stops smoking after a while, don't worry.

Jon the Chief
oldchieft
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: peterexpart » Sun May 11, 2014 2:12 pm

The Fan should blow backwards through the radiator the same as the air does when the car is going forward !!!!
PeterExpart
New Forest National Park
Hampshire UK
peterexpart
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Sun May 11, 2014 3:20 pm

Easy fix to the fan. It's dc so just swap the connections. I had to do the same when I went to negative earth after installing an alternator.
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: au-yt » Sun May 11, 2014 7:36 pm

Thanks for the advice on the resistor I will duly note that give the location I fear it an issue i will need to address.
What other ignition units are people using?

As for the Fan I did sort it just didn't explain it well. I can understand how it happened, there are a blue and red wire from the fan and a blue and black from the loam. logic says reds power on the fan are.... no red is earth blue is power.
Many thanks
Graeme
LOTUS Evora 400
Ginetta G27 S2
..................................................Age doesn't matter unless you are a cheese................................................
au-yt
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldchieft » Sun May 11, 2014 7:39 pm

Buy a multi meter and check polarity, most useful tool in your electrical box.

Jon the Chief
oldchieft
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon May 12, 2014 1:01 am

Personally I dont believe the added complexity of a ballast ignition system is needed especially in Australia with it milder temperatures.

As long as your starter and battery and wiring is in good condition you should have plenty of voltage for a standard 12 volt system to provide spark on cranking so i would just remove the ballast and revert to the basic 12 volt coil

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: au-yt » Mon May 12, 2014 1:54 am

Rohan
My thoughts exactly. I will chevk yhe voltage on the power supply. The idea of something of an ignition source scares the...........out of me.

To answers the question of a multi meter I do have one and use it extensively. The check I did on the fan was just to see if it worked. Suprise, I had a thrust reverse system! Oddly it may have had some effect stationary but greatly reduced effectiveness.
LOTUS Evora 400
Ginetta G27 S2
au-yt
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldchieft » Mon May 12, 2014 2:56 am

oh, sorry

But it gives meaning to "that sucks!'

Jon the Chief
oldchieft
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: au-yt » Mon May 12, 2014 9:01 am

AC Delco Remy coil.... wow were these a standard fitment or by some strange stretch of the imagination were that a Lucas coil originally?
LOTUS Evora 400
Ginetta G27 S2
au-yt
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: robertverhey » Mon May 12, 2014 10:21 am

Yes been running Aldon ignition in the lotus cortina for years, without ballast. R
robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: