Courtesy (Interior) light switches - quick fix

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:20 am

I'm talking about the door switches which ground when the doors open & turn on the courtesy (interior) light on the dashboard.

It appears to me that the normal mode of failure for the courtesy light switches (which are identical to the headlight pod switches) is that the spade terminal fatigues & snaps off.

I have seen replacement switches from Sue Miller, Paul Matty & RD Enterprises & they all look the same:

36m6266s.jpg
Ray's Courtesy light switch
36m6266s.jpg (34.26 KiB) Viewed 676 times

Note that these have a bullet connection instead of a male spade terminal as per the original parts (on my car anyway.) In my experience that bullet connector is quite poorly made.

I cut the female spade terminal off the connecting wire & crimped on a bullet, but found that the bullet connector was not a good fit. Out of frustration I pulled the supplied bullet connector off & tried one of my bulk bullet connectors from AES - surprise it was a much better fit both ends to the harness & to the shaft of the switch..

BulletConnectors.jpg
BulletConnectors.jpg (13.26 KiB) Viewed 675 times

So if your terminal breaks off the switch, just use a bullet connector & a bullet terminal & use your original switch & save yourself some money. You also save time since you will not have to unscrew the original switch & have to figure out where all of those gaskets go.

:idea: Use that time & money & have yourself a beer on me!
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:12 am

Nice! Thanks!

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075