Ignition Switch Short?

PostPost by: Tahoe » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:39 pm

Going to pull my ignition switch today (S2) and see if it's bad, but thought I'd run it past the forum first.

Here's the deal. It was working fine and then last fall I had a weird thing happen. Turn the key to start the car and the starter solenoid (Hi Torque Starter) was clicking as if the battery wasn't fully charged. On top of that it was dimly lighting up all the running lights front and back. The battery was fully charged when I checked it. So the problem disappeared after a couple of trys.

Fast forward to yesterday. Roads were without ice so wanted to go for a drive. The car started fine after sitting for several months and I took it for a short 5 minute drive to make sure all was okay. Brought it back to the garage turned it off. had lunch, went out to start it and take it for a longer drive and my problem reappeared. After 2 hours of checking circuits, doing voltage tests etc. it still wouldn't work. Woke up this morning wondering if it could be the ignition switch. When in the on position everything works as it should, but when turned to the start position it all goes bad.

Any thoughts?
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:03 pm

My ignition switch went bad Russ, but symptoms were a bit different. In the start position the starter would crank as expected, but all of the hot in run and start circuits (including the ignition) were off. Took me a while to realize, as the car would start when I released the key to the run position. Honestly thought it was an 'they all do that' deal. :) My mechanic noticed the issue and took the ignition switch apart and got it working, but it only lasted for a short time. Replacement switch is working fine. Not that expensive and pretty readily available. Only drawback is the key doesn't match the door, but I had to replace those earlier anyway. :)

At a bit of a loss to explain the running lights coming on though. Something to do with the starter dragging voltage down and the running lights seeing potential thru the ground backward? Did you try just clipping the wires together at the ignition switch and see if you have the same synptoms without the ignition switch?

HTH

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Tahoe » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:58 pm

I traced it to a very poor ground connection at the chassis to the battery. Cable was corroded under the insulation. Replaced the cable and all is right with the world.
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:02 am

aha , that reminds me..
100% of the time when I put the key to 1st position I get movement on the ammeter and more movement when I turn to 2nd (start) position . so ti sounds to me as though a circuit is being completed
90% of the time my starter motor turns over on the key .
10% it doesn't ... but get this ... 5% of the time if I hold the key in the start position and wait 3 seconds ...it starts !
It's no big deal reaching out and under the bonnet to push the starter solenoid button (this always works so it can't be the starter at fault), but it doesn't look good in a public place lol!
I remember taking the switch apart a year or so ago to 'fix' the problem but it didn't and I've lived with it . What have I missed ?
Rich
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:07 am

When I had an identical problem it turned out to be a build up of dirt and grease on the starter terminal in the switch so that the contact sometimes was not sufficient to pull in the starter solenoid.

Embarrassing and stressful when the car would not start in the dummy grid when they tell you to start your engine. It would always fix itself after 4 or 5 tries on the key.

Dismantled the switch and cleaned the contacts and its been fine since

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: