Its electrical but What the hell is it?????

PostPost by: AHM » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:09 am

john.p.clegg wrote:A fuse with a resistance of 1.8 Ohms???:

A 1960's fuse with associated 1960's fuse holder, wiring, and Lucar terminals - 1.8 ohms would be quite good! :wink:
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:05 pm

But would a 1.8 Ohm fuse stand even a brief 30 Amps (1.6 kW)? It's not big enough for the coil dropper resistor, though about the right value, so I agree with the rf choke, probably in the radio power feed, but would that stand 30 Amps?
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rcraven » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:25 pm

You need to measure its inductance to see whether it is some kind of choke and you need to do it quickly to put an end to this interminably repetitive thread. :)
If (as it seems) you haven't got any apparatus for measuring inductance, try using a compass. Does the magnetic field created when voltage is applied to it seem distinctly stronger than the field created by the same voltage across a plain 1.8 ohm resistor? If so, it's some kind of inductor.
Robert
rcraven
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ricarbo » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:06 pm

Looks exactly like an 'inline choke' to me. Sold to insert between the car wiring and the fuse in the line to the radio in the days when we had medium and long wave radios. The purpose being the reduction of interference. I don't think it helped on a decent radio, because a similar device was already built in to to the radio itself, but it might have helped on a lesser radio. I added one to my 1964 TR4 and noticed no improvement or worsenment, but it had no real interference problem before!.
Regards
Richard
ricarbo
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ricarbo » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:28 pm

As an extra point, it would only be realistic to put 1 or 2 amps through it, not 30, which will probably blow it to bits! I think you will find the construction to be a winding of wire around a ferrite rod. A bit like a coil around a short pencil, if that makes more sense.
Regards
Richard
ricarbo
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Thornts » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:39 am

This is a VERY important part - do not loose it.
It is one of a series of what professional restorers call 'bits and bobs' that are left over every time you take something apart and put it back together. The number of these Bit and Bobs you will be left with is related to how big the thing was you took apart, how long ago it was you disassembled it and how many times you moved garage in the intervening time. In your case it was big thing (a car) and a long time ago so you will have quite a large selection of similar items by the time you are finished. :D
Have fun!
Rob
S3 SE FHC
Thornts
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: