Fitting front wing indicator marker lights

PostPost by: jmp » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:36 am

I'm finally getting round to fitting the front wing indicator lights on the S4. What I need to know is the exact position for them.
Does anyone have the measurement to hand or have them removed from the car at present due to work being done on the bodywork?
And secondly where were they connected in the wiring loom if fitted at the factory?

One of the morgan restorations finished and ready for sale so jobs that have been waiting for a time on the S4 are now closer to the top of the list of outstanding jobs. New dash to be fitted in the next few weeks.

Thanks,

John
jmp
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:42 am

I filled the holes on my S4 Coupe and the S3 is across town so I don't have the dimensions. This topic has some info on them and a few photos.

Amber side Repeater again?
elan-f14/amber-side-repeater-again-t24418.html

Not a lot in this one but Roger posted a photos of the elevations of the lamp
Repeater indicators
elan-f14/repeater-indicators-t18397.html

The wires are in the arch so that may help you some and I believe that they wires connect where the front marker lamps are wired into the front harness.

Sorry not a lot of help. I believe that someone has posted that info before, I just don't remember who...

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:03 pm

A bit more info.......
As shown in the photo above my lamps sit on the line projected forwards from the top edge of the door aperture. The centre line of the lamp is 14 1/2" forward of the front of the aperture.

As Gary says, the repeaters are connected to the loom together with the front indicator lamps via double bullet connectors in the nose.
The cables run from the rear of the lamp through the outer wing, rearwards in the wheel arch, through a clip on the rear wall of the wheel well then forwards and through a grommet in the inner wing which is almost directly opposite the lamp itself.
Attachments
Side repeater lamp wiring 002.jpg and
Side repeater lamp wiring 001.jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jmp » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:24 am

Thanks very much both of you. My research on the archives didn't bring up any results but then I didn't use the term "repeater" :oops:

Enough information to mark and fit them over the next coup[le od days.

Soon to fit the new dash as well and not lookking forward to that one. How many problems will I introduce once I've fitted it?

John
jmp
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nigelrbfurness » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:32 pm

jmp wrote:
Soon to fit the new dash as well and not lookking forward to that one. How many problems will I introduce once I've fitted it?

John

In my experience the first problem is that the loom will have been pulled out of its resting place when you removed it, so it won't go back easily behind the dash and in the process many of the brass tags on the backs of the switches will break off, necessitating some very careful soldering, quite a bit of bad language and a trawl of ebay for replacement switches! But that's on a good day... On a bad day you'll have to do all that sand then take it out again to reconnect all the things you got upside down :)
Nigel F.
1970 S4SE/1760cc big valve/SA-AX block, L2s, 45DCOEs, 1978 Jensen GT, 1962 AH Sprite, Alfa-Romeo 159, 1966 Bristol Bus, 1947 AEC Regal bus.
nigelrbfurness
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: