distributor advance

PostPost by: kstrutt11 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:40 pm

My +2s130 has a slight misfire and seems little down on power, today I got round to looking at it, obvious faults are a crack around where the centre cable goes, in a very loose centre electrode and a worn rotor arm (loose brass plate and reduced outer diameter). this is all pretty easy to sort out and I will order some quality replacement parts fron the distributor doctor. I have also noticed that the rotor arm can not be twisted against the advance springs, I assume this means the advance weights are seized? also does the dizzy come out with the front carb on?

Kevin
kstrutt11
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:44 am

kstrutt11 wrote:I have also noticed that the rotor arm can not be twisted against the advance springs, I assume this means the advance weights are seized?

Hi Kevin,
It's more likely to be the cam plate siezed on the shaft than the advance weights themselves. You may be able to free it off without removing the distributor by removing the rotor arm and squirting some WD40 down the centre of the cam plate. This area should be lubricated periodically but tends to get overlooked.
As for removing the distributor with carbs in situ - it's certainly possible with Stromberg carbs but you do need to remove the distributor cap first. Don't know about Webers or Dellortos but I suspect it would be the same.
Attachments
Distributor 001.jpg and
Distributor 41189A 004a.JPG and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: kstrutt11 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:46 am

Thanks,

I will have a go with some oil tonight.
kstrutt11
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:51 pm

kstrutt11 wrote:Thanks,

I will have a go with some oil tonight.

Easing oil, e.g WD40 or Plusgas, first (maybe leave overnight) then machine oil/engine oil after it has been nicely freed up.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: kstrutt11 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:05 pm

with some oil there seems to be a reasonable amount of advance now, the new cap and rotor have also made it much smoother particularly at low to medium engine speeds.
kstrutt11
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: