Pertronix Ignitor II with solid core leads

PostPost by: Bainford » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Hi all

I've just joined the forum but have been lurking for awhile. I do not have an Elan, but I do have a Europa Twin Cam. I see other Europa guys hanging out here from time to time so I thought I would hang out a bit myself.

I'm jumping right in with a question which is my reason for joining up tonight. I have recently purchased a Pertronix Ignitor II distributor and Flame Thrower II coil for my Twin Cam. When I read the installation instructions I was dismayed to find that the use of solid core plug leads is not recommended. Apparently, according to Pertronix, the RF noise coming off the wires can kill the ignitors, a problem with the ignitor II but not the original Ignitor. Last summer I fitted a new set of Lucas solid core leads with NGK resistor covers, and I would really like to run these wires. My questions are these;

- Will the NGK resistor covers (a 5000 ohm resistor boot on the plug end, aka suppressor caps) reduce RF noise and alleviate the problem of running solid core wires?

- Does anyone have any experiance with running solid core wires with the Ignitor II system?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

Trevor
Bainford
New-tral

PostPost by: Terry L » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:40 am

It appears that the tach will not operate correctly with solid core wires. It just swings wildly.
Terry L
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Bainford » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:42 am

I've been running the solid core wires for a year now (with my points distributor) and I have experienced no problems with the tach. I've heard of tach problems with some types of ignition systems (Lumenition, for example), but I wasn't aware that solid core wires could cause tach problems. Perhaps the NGK resistor covers are having the desired effect.
Bainford
New-tral

PostPost by: UAB807F » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:51 pm

Hi Trevor, welcome from another TC owner....

I run the original Pertronix with "olde worlde" copper cored wires and a standard Bosch coil and have done so for a year or so. I don't recall seeing anything in the literature about not being able to use copper cored wires, and despite being a bloke, I did read the instructions that came with it :)

Maybe they mean that a plain copper lead with no suppression at the plug cap is a problem rather than the copper itself. But I don't know so my advice would be to ask them for more details in an email. I would bet that most folks are using modern leads and if it was a problem then I think I'd swop leads.

Incidentally, if you are a Europa owner there are a couple of other resources around where you might get an answer. The most likely is the Yahoo Europa group as that's got quite a few knowledgeable guys on

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lotuseuropa/

if you don't like the old style mailing lists (I admit, I'm not a great fan but the folks there are good) then there's a fledgling forum styled like this one, started by a couple of guys off the Yahoo list.

http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php

But that's only just started with a few members so it will be a long while before it's as well used as this forum. There's also a couple of good websites;

http://lotus-europa.com/manuals/index.htm
http://lotus-europa.com/

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:23 am

Hi all,

I ran a similar system from Aldon Automotive a year or so ago.to clarify I had an Aldon dizzy that in the end I sent back to have fitted the ignitor 2 module.Along with that the matching coil(chrome) and the leads they sell. Off the top of my head I believe they are NGK blues in 8mm.

I did have rev counter dramas, but from advice on this site it seemed that this is due to it being either voltage or current operated.This can be fixed and I'm sure there is a wiring diagram somewhere in previous posts,however I haven't managed to find it yet.

I may be completely wrong but I'm sure a few hours of research should put your mind at ease

Paul
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bainford » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:36 am

Brian, Paul, thanks for the replies. According to Pertronix the problem occurs when running solid leads with the Ignitor II, but solid leads with the original Ignitor is not a problem. In addition to posting on this forum I have done a bit of research, and asked Pertronix a bunch of questions (and they were very friendly & helpful, by the way). They say that I may still incurr problems even with the NGK resistor covers fitted to the leads, though NGK says that the resistor covers will reduce RF noise suitably to be safe for all electronic ignitions. As it turns out I inadvertently ended up with two complete new Pertronix distributors for the Twin Cam, one with vac advance and one without. I've decided I'm going to run the solid core leads (with the resistor covers) with one of the new distributors until I kill it, and carry my points dist as a spare on long trips until I gain confidence in the set up. Do a little R&D of my own :wink:

Brian, thanks for the links. I am a member of the yahoo Europa group, and you are right, they are a great bunch of guys and very helpful too. However, as you mentioned, I really can't stand that forum format. That was why I posted my query here, which also seems like a very nice forum with great people. Thanks for the link to the new Europa forum. I just joined up tonight.

Cheers
Bainford
New-tral

PostPost by: twincamman » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:55 am

hi Bainford -my Renault Europa --I got sick of the Deceliere distributor with all the French over engineering so I gutted the distributor and replace things with Bosch 009 plate points and condenser from an air cooled V W advanced to 10 degrees I kept the advance springs as they were . This was the best move ever as the advance plate bolts right in and is easy to find parts and is just super for starts --for the T.C. Europa the supplied dist is best but check for a worn dist bushing to avoid top end spark scatter , this could lead to the demise of your T, C, fwiw -- Spark is spark and simpler is better for these cars I could tell stories of race cars qualified on pole and not starting for the main event because people thought modern computer ignition is better ----one plug --400 wires--power in and not out -- 5 minutes to on the track --didnt make it--- and the car still wont run 2 weeks later and were measuring micro farads on computer board s ----give me points every time -ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jeff@Jae » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:21 pm

Basically any electronic ignition, digital rev limiter etc.. doesn't want solid core leads but rather a RF set. Not sure if the NGK plug ends will do the trick or not. My guess is not.
Jeff@Jae
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: simonknee » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:30 am

If Pertronix say not then why run those wires? Pretty colour? A set of correct NGK cables are cheaper than an Ingnitor II module.

Search for RVI v RVC tacho for all the info on this over the years.
Simon
'67 S3 FHC 36/7002
'69 +2 50/1370 (stolen '00)
simonknee
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: