High beam function in Plus 2

PostPost by: Briggs1 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:14 pm

I rewired my Plus 2 installing a few relays in the headlight circuit.

When I flip on the high beams the running lights go out.

Is this normal procedure for the Plus 2 or do I need to revisit my relay logic?

Have been advised that it is normal.

Thanks,
Briggs
Briggs1
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:08 am

By running lights do you mean the small lights (sidelights in the UK)? If so, then this is not normal as far as I am aware.. Doesn't make any sense from a safety view either, so why would it be standard? Could be a volt drop problem (poor earth).

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AussieJohn » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:50 am

On high beam are your rear lights out? If so maybe you have wired the high beam to the flash output.
AussieJohn
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Briggs1 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:18 am

@ Jeremy - by runnning lights I mean the lamps in the front and rear turn signal fixtures that illuminate all the time (when on)

@ John - do you mean the momentary hgh beam flash? Why would that cause the running lights to go out - I'll check my wiring logic to see if that is the case -don't think so.

:arrow: It does not seem right to me that it should occur - I had planned on changing/fixing - was curious if it indeed was "the way it was designed"
Briggs1
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:35 pm

Briggs, as you expect it shouldn't work that way. How are your side lights turned on and off? Is yours with momentary contact flat switch next to the main headlight vacuum switch? That's how the Federal cars work and the circuit is a bit unusual.

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Briggs1 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:47 pm

Do not have any side lights - the car is a bit of a mess.

I have no idea what on it is actually original and what was done by previous owners of debatable skills.

I have the running/parking lights illuminated by a three way rocker switch - OFF, Running, Running & Headlights.

If it is not supposed to be this way I'll figure out the error and correct - should not be that challenging - just need to retrace the circuit and work out the logic.
Don't think it is a grounding issue - but that is certainly worth verifying.
What is interesting is that on High Beam "flash" it does not happen - only on high beam ON.

Thanks for the thoughts - this is my first Plus 2 and am learning every step of the way- if it was a Europa I could do it with my eyes closed .
Briggs1
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: AussieJohn » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:05 pm

When your rocker switch is in the "running plus headlights" position then the feed to the headlights goes via the hi/lo beam switch but the running lights should be fed independant of the headlights direct from the switch. Your headlight relays operating circuits should be straight from the hi/lo switch outputs, sorry if it doesn't make sense, I'm not so good with words. PS I take it that side lights and running lights are the same thing.
AussieJohn
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Briggs1 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:10 pm

John,

I think I undertand what you are saying- I'll check it out.
Briggs1
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: