Interior lights - available alternatives?

PostPost by: Iyarno » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:41 pm

As the title suggests I've been try to find original ford interior lights for my 68' plus 2. All the second hand ones seem a bit shabby and over priced. Has anyone use alternative units that are readily available to buy new? I need the one by the visor with a switch plus two in the back.

Ian
Iyarno
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: plus2inbits » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:14 pm

The large one in our 70 +2 looks to be identical to one from a Bay window (68 - 80) VW van, I don't know if that's the same as yours.

Mike
plus2inbits
New-tral

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:27 pm

Which lamp are you referring to? Looks like a few were used. Please help us to help you. I do not read minds and I do not know what year Plus2 you have. If you want to look at other lamps go to google images and put into the search engine MGB interior lamp or any of the other popular roadsters that have a good following and many parts that are reproduced if you want to shop price.
#9 is probably the one that is under discussion over in the Elan page about the side markers that are hard to find but with a clear rather than an amber lens.
# 17 is a Cortina mk1 interior lamp, John McCoy had lenses reproduced and there are others that do short runs of plastic stuff I am sure.
plus2 interior lamps.jpg and

I was thinking that these would work but I don't know the plus2 at all, these were used for the Elan Coupe but without the switch (maybe).

http://www.google.com/search?q=mgb+inte ... CAoQ_AUoBA
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Iyarno » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:04 pm

piss-ant wrote:Which lamp are you referring to? Looks like a few were used. Please help us to help you. I do not read minds and I do not know what year Plus2 you have.

No minds need to be read - just the words in my post ;-)

Anyway, as mentioned, I have a 68' +2 with the Ford Cortina lights - number 17 in your diagram. I'd like to find a suitable alternative as they're difficult to source without getting them manufactured. Just thought other mights have tried alternative lights which fit nicely.

Cheers, Ian
Iyarno
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:26 pm

Hi

A few pics of my ones in this posting: elan-plus-f13/plus-interior-lights-t20213.html?hilit=%20interior

The ones without the switch (Ford Zephyr) do come up on Ebay used but the correct ones with the switch coming out of the side I have only seen on the +2.

The Cortina ones are close but not right.

Hope this helps

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:39 am

Ian, Ray at rdent.com has two listed under Plus 2 parts. Schroll way down to electrical parts. I'm not sure, but I think the first one may be the VW look alike one. The second one may be lense only, I can't tell. It is not a correct match to mine, which has a three position switch at the end of the lense rather than a slotted switch. Mine appears to be the same as in Jason's. If you want clarification on Ray's parts he is excellent at responding to emails.

The trapezoidal one Gary posted above looks right for the two rear ones, but when I was looking I could only find the lense, not the base. I went with two rear ones from Andy at Spyder that are not correct but work and came with bases, although their mounting depth is a bit too much for our application. Good luck in the search, and let us know what you find.

HTH
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:18 am

mk1 cortina club supplies them . They are specifically for Mk1 cortina ESTATE.
I bought a few and they are spot on for the rear of the +2 without switches .
Rich
elan-plus-f13/plus-interior-lights-t20213.html
http://www.mk1cortina.co.uk/components/ ... f52e01.jpg
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:26 am

Did you have to join their club Rich?

I could do with a couple of rear lenses.

Jason
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:47 am

From memory they will be OK for the switched ones as well (on the Plus 2 as distinct from the switched Ford ones) as the switch 'arm' comes out of a recess in the base rather than the cover.....I'll try and get a picture!

I think that you do need to be a member, Jason.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:19 pm

Here is the Cortina mk1 interior lamp
Corttina interior lamp1.JPG and

Corttina interior lamp.JPG and

Corttina interior lamp back.JPG and

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:02 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:From memory they will be OK for the switched ones as well (on the Plus 2 as distinct from the switched Ford ones) as the switch 'arm' comes out of a recess in the base rather than the cover.....I'll try and get a picture!

I think that you do need to be a member, Jason.

Mark

Mark, there are pretty good pic's in Jason's linked thread. The lenses do look slightly different for the switched and plain lamps, and that is what I recall with mine. Your memory is correct though that the switch is in a slot in the base.

HTH
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:17 pm

I'm still a member so I can get 'em. It's a bit steep otherwise.
PM me jason if you want me to get a couple
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:04 pm

You could try this company:

Impossible Creations Ltd 01375 891621 - Essex based.

A friend with a Plus 2 is recommending them to manufacture these early light units.

They are experts in modelling 3D items in plastic, and I believe that have done these lights.

Ian Carter is a director and you can e-mail him at [email protected].

Dave Chapman
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:18 pm

A handy contact. Rich is sorting me out now.

I would be interested to know what they charged for one unit if you know Dave? This may be an option for other parts?

Jason
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Iyarno » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:44 pm

Jason1 wrote:A handy contact. Rich is sorting me out now.

Am I right in thinking this is the lens only and not the base unit. One of my base units is cracked too.
Iyarno
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: