loom and EFI installation

PostPost by: pauljones » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:01 pm

Hi all,

Just thought id let the forum know what's happening.

My beloved has just left on the back of a trailer,ill see her in a few weeks hopefully with a fresh MOT,bespoke new loom and EFI installed.

I'm looking forward to getting her back and having some fun in the summer.

Paul.
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bob_rich » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:07 pm

Hi Paul

Hope it all goes well. I am fitting EFI during my rebuild would be interested to C how it is implemented and some info on how it goes. R U using the emerald ECU? a if so would be interested to know details of the map U end up with and the build state of the engine.

Best of luck how she comes home happy and ready to please her owner!!

Bob
bob_rich
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:13 pm

Talking wiring looms and EFI,just a tale that might help,when I did mine it worked a treat,for about twenty minutes at a time,then it would "play up",to cut a long story short EMF's were making their way from the high power/high frequency wires (ISCV,HT,etc.) to the low power sensor wires.....the solution...belt and braces,I shielded (like TV aerial wire) all wires from the loom to ground at ONE END ONLY...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:10 pm

Bob,

I too hope she comes back ready to please,I've spent a small fortune on her in the last few years and not had much in return,I think this is the last straw for my very patient wife. To answer your question,its yes. The whole system was from emerald,the ecu is loaded from factory with a map suitable for running a twinc. It also came with a setup disk that has numerous other maps for other engines too.

John,

I hear you,the instructions clearly state that certain wires must be twisted in pairs,kept away from other power leads and shielded at the ecu end only.its because of these and other bits I wasn't sure off,that she has gone to a professional.i don't want to do a chequebook resto,but some things have to go to those that know. I take your coment on board and will email to be on the safe side,thanks.

The work is starting Monday so I give 2 to 3 weeks,then should get her back.ill be putting up photos
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:14 am

Well guys,

I picked up the plus 2 yesterday,not running to good. First I had to setup the TPS just to get it to run under load.It starts a lot better from that alone. It still doesn't like loads to well and gives the impression it has a timing fault!! I think I need to tell the ECU where it's timing markers are using tdc.

It needs a bit of time to set up correctly just to give it some road manners,this weather isn't helping any either.

At least it now has a bespoke wiring loom,and everything works too.The EFI install is lovely too.

As soon as this rain stops I'll get some more pics up!!

Paul
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanman999 » Tue May 01, 2012 11:09 am

It's interesting all this EFI talk.
I was at Emerald having my Elan set up so it's now running really well.

Paul,
Yes you need to set the trigger timing then set the TPS. You may have to set the TPS a few times as when you adjust tickover speed this can upset the TPS.
I also found the Emerald set up as supplied very rich. To be fair though it did start first time but as it warmed up it got richer. IMHO with out a Lambda wired into the ECU you will find it hard to DIY map the ECU. With a Lambda into the ECU you can then use the logging to monitor what's happening while you drive and if you've got a mate (not the wife) who know what he's doing he can map things while you drive.
I have not sucked the map out of my ECU yet but if you want a copy PM your email add.
My set up is:-
1700 cc, home ported head, Sprint valves with QED360 cams.
320cc injectors, running at 2.3bar.
Cheers
John
IMG_0956rss.jpg and
Last edited by elanman999 on Tue May 01, 2012 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elanman999
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Tue May 01, 2012 1:05 pm

John,
At the moment it sounds like the ignition is well out.how do I set this to get it running better?
My problem at the moment is that's is not really drivable.i need to sort this first,then drive to a rolling road.
I was hoping that it would be at least drivable but it's not that easy!!
I think I need some help with this.
Paul
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanman999 » Tue May 01, 2012 1:39 pm

Paul,
You may well have to set the trigger timing as it just depends how much care the installers took as to how accurate it is. Once set you may also have to set the balance of the Jenvey's. At this stage don't bother with the four (one for each pot) adjusters just get the two TB's roughly balanced (just like doing Webbers).
To set the trigger timing you:-
Get the car set up to check the timing, that is strobe connected to No1 pot and laptop connected to ECU and the emerald program running.
Go Comms and read map to get the live map on screen then to setup (top menu bar) then Ignition alignment.
In there you can set a fixed ignition timing. Run engine and set to say 10deg, then check with strobe what the actual timing is. You can adjust for any error on the ignition alignment page.

I'll pm you my phone no in case you want a chat.
Cheers
John
elanman999
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: