Quarterlight Glass Fitting

PostPost by: innesw » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:59 pm

Hi guys,

Is there a special knack to fitting the quarterlight glass into the window frames? At the moment I've manged to fit new seals for the main side windows and I've managed to fit the vertical seal for the quaterlights but I'm really struggling with sliding in the front quarterlight seal into the frame.

Thanks for any help you guys can suggest.

Innes
Innes
1965 Elan S2 (26/4681)
1973 Elan+2S 130/5 JPS
innesw
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jono » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:28 pm

Innes,

Loads of Fairy Liquid! Carefully grind the arrisses of the glass with a stone disk in the angle grinder (just kissing the glass and wear some goggles!). This was the trick fo rme.

Push in the seals, starting at one end and working along and lubricate with fairy Liquid mixed with warm water around 50:50. Once you have eased the sharp edges on the glass with the girnder they should pop in (again with liberal lubrication)

This worked for me after much cursing and despondency.

I know you have had your frames done at Derby (as I have). The finish is superb but they do use a lots of copper plate and it reduces the width of the rebates slightly.

The above method does work!

Jon

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: innesw » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:51 pm

Sorted!

Wee bit of red rubber grease did the trick in the end, I "popped" the front quater light seal in place instead of sliding it, easier I found. Didn't need to grind the edges on the glass just wiggled it in with more red rubber grease and jobs a good'un! Window frames are now bolted on the car... :lol:

Innes
Innes
1965 Elan S2 (26/4681)
1973 Elan+2S 130/5 JPS
innesw
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: