Fixed headlights

PostPost by: lotuselanman » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:45 am

Gidday,
This topic has probably done a zillions times, well give or take one or two.
I have a +2S which is #3 on the rebuilding of our cars list hence my rising excitement as the starting time draws closer.
Has anyone done this conversion on a +2?
The +2 Elans are surely one of the finest looking cars ever made but those pop up headlights certainly spoil the flowing lines.
Polite comment and heaps of photos would be great.
Thanks,
Les.
lotuselanman
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:13 am

Hi Les

I am not sure where you would place the fixed headlights; the nose is very pointy.

I seem to remember in the European type approval there are regs to consider headlight height and spacing? In the UK you would need to consider these to pass the yearly MOT.

I think what you would end up with is pods fixed in the same place as the pop ups.
Maybe you could mock up a pair of headlights on cardboard and tape them to the car in various positions and take photos. This would give you an idea of how it would effect the look of the car.

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:07 am

You're right Jason...the 'up' position is about as low as it's allowed to be, so any fixed lights would have to be up there.

Given that the lights are mainly only needed at night when you can't see the beautiful princess turn into a frog, I can't see the issue, and I like frogs!
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cal44 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:45 pm

They could be recessed/modified to stay in place. For instance is early 240 Z's then a plexi/lexan cover/Toyota 2000G.T
OR
Racing 914's many times have cables going too the lights to raise them. Pull the knob........bam! raised lights.

You are correct about the styling of the Plus 2, it is "stunning" in design and to have the headlights in any other position would be a crime, during the day.

Form over function in this case. I would fix the lights too operate as designed. Although an electric lift for them would be nice. Two wires and a tiny mounted motor.........ahhh what do I know.

Mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "Mad Dog" James Mattis United States Marines
cal44
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:30 pm

The height regulations that were in force when the Elan & +2 were produced don't apply anymore.
Pop-up headlights are only used when its dark - and who looks at the car's spoilt sleek lines in the dark?
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotuselanman » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:14 am

Hey come on Fellas,
I'm a Colonial, Australian type Colonial, don't worry about silly regs that forced poor ol' Col to fit pop up lights.
The chances of being pulled up by a Plod, that is Officer of the Law who even know what a Lotus is let alone the regs of 40 plus years ago in another country is so bloody remote!!
My question is 'has it been done before', if so I want know about it and peruse some photos of the finished item. Please do not concern your selves re the Leagalities !!
Thanks,
Les.
PS : Having read this several times I can see why our attitude is somewhat unique and good.
lotuselanman
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:53 am

Would there be a Jaguar E-Type sort of scenario looming here with the use of plexi-glass, or other, covers?

We had two E's in our family at one time. An S1 with the covered headlamps and my S1 (and a half) that were open. The covered lamps were undoubtedly more attractive, but were like a Toc-h jobbie at night...and if it was wet...and if they were misted up inside... useless!

How do the 26/R conversions perform...as headlights?

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: