Alternator Identification

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:24 pm

My S3 has been fitted with a Lucas alternator, but I don't know what type.

Does anyone know how to identify different models, please?
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:29 am

Lucas models are identified by the density and colour of the escaping smoke and flame or sparks . my headlight switch has 3 positions ----dim -flicker amd off :lol: :lol: : -ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:52 am

It is most likely a 17ACR or a modern replica of this model - if no labels then post a few photos and I am sure someone will recognise it.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:31 am

I think my old one had an aluminium tag on the body with the model number on. As Rohan says it's most likely going to be either a 16ACR or 17ACR unit, post a photo and someone will know.

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:25 am

UAB807F wrote:I think my old one had an aluminium tag on the body with the model number on. As Rohan says it's most likely going to be either a 16ACR or 17ACR unit, post a photo and someone will know.

Brian

If it is a Lucas the tag is on the side next to the engine so it may not be obvious with the alternator installed.....
Lucas 16ACR Alternator 006.jpg and
Lucas 16ACR Alternator 004.jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:07 pm

I believe the different outputs can be determined by the length of the "windings section". See the top photo of the previous post. It's the section between the aluminium castings. Sorry I don't have more information but perhaps by comparing with another unit you can detrmine the model.
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:27 pm

Here are a couple of pictures. Sorry they're a bit blurred, I used my BlackBerry.

There's no identifying tag - I had the alternator out whil rebuillding the engine and there was nothing external to give a clue.

The reason I'm asking is because if you look at the photo of the connector, 2 wires are present - the main output wire and the so-called Ignition light wire. I believe the middle position should be an Earth (Ground) wire - can anyone confirm that? I remember some of the older 15ACR alternators with 5 terminals, when I was much younger!

I thought if I could identify the alternator it'd be easier to find out.
IMG00051.jpg and
IMG00054.jpg and
It does charge as it is, but I'd still like to know.
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:09 pm

Some alternators do have earth connectors, but they tend to be very old ones. Before you connect anything to earth, I'd suggest a few minutes with a test meter otherwise you could end up with that well known smell of burning insulation :wink:

I recently replaced the alternator on my Europa with a new 17ACR unit. That also had no external tags but had a 3 connection block at the back. The smallest was for the ignition/warning lamp feed, the second & third connectors were large ones and basically from the same output underneath the black plastic cover. Connecting one of those to earth would have spoiled my day :(

Going back to the original Europa alternator, that had 4 connectors on the back. 2 small ones for 12v feed & the warning lamp and then 2 large ones - one for 12v output, the other, equally large but to earth. I understand that used to be the case but more modern Lucas units take their earth connection via the casing, and when I say "modern" I'm meaning probably 20yrs or more ago....

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:13 pm

This is my installation with a 45A Lucas replacing a dynamo. Three connecting tabs - two are common and for the charging circuit (brown cxable) and the other is for the "warning lamp circuit" (brown and yellow cable).
Attachments
Alternator installation 2.jpg and
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jeff@Jae » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:58 pm

Looks like the typical ACR family Lucas alternator, good units. They only use two connections like the generator (dynamo) used previously which makes them an easy upgrade. No external ground wire as it grounds through the mounting.
Jeff@Jae
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:10 am

Well, now I know. Thanks everyone!
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: