Magnesium Alternator bracket, who made them?

PostPost by: Elanman99 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:28 am

In about 1970 I fitted a Lucas alternator to my S4.

I cannot remember where I bought the mounting bracket but it actually a double purpose item designed to hold both the alternator and a fuel injection pump (or less likely, a dry sump pump). I cut off the circular pump flange and used it just for the alternator for many years. I dont have it now as I put that engine in a +2 which I used and then sold, whilst I was fitting a new chassis to the S4.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, does anyone know who manufactured the bracket? I have never seen one since or found any reference to them.

Ian Phillips
Elanman99
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:04 pm

I would hazard a guess at Tecalamit (Jackson) or Lucas; their mechanical fuel injection systems were fairly widely used in that era & your description of the bracket seems to fit the bill.
I doubt very much that it held any form of oil pump because the integrated Cosworth dry sump pump was adopted almost universally for Ford based engines.

John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:28 pm

Could it have been for a power steering pump or maybe even an aircon compressor?

Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanman99 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:43 pm

John

TJ Fuel Injection!

That is what it was, I recall being told that it was made by Lucas. Actually it was a well designed bracket which apart from bolting to the normal lugs on the side of the crankcase extended upwards several inches and had another fixing that tied in with a longer bolt through one of the timing case lugs.

Ian
Elanman99
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:59 pm

Elanman99 wrote:John

TJ Fuel Injection!

That is what it was, I recall being told that it was made by Lucas. Actually it was a well designed bracket which apart from bolting to the normal lugs on the side of the crankcase extended upwards several inches and had another fixing that tied in with a longer bolt through one of the timing case lugs.

Ian

Yipeeee! I claim the prize money :D
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanman99 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:39 pm

[quote="GrUmPyBoDgEr"][quote="Elanman99"]John

TJ Fuel Injection!

Ian[/quote]

Yipeeee! I claim the prize money :D[/quote]

You're nearly there! Just one more question to answer before we get to talk about the main prize.

Where did Colin get the (Mazak?) brackets that hold the adjustable Nylon ball pivot on the S1 to S4 door hinges?

Lots of Lotus bits came from other vehicles, kitchen cabinets, and assorted cheap subcontractors, the door hinge is one bit that I have never seen other than on an Elan but I cant believe it was a bespoke Lotus part.

Any thoughts?

Ian Phillips
Elanman99
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:18 pm

Oi! you've moved the goal post; that's not fair!!

I read somewhere on here that those bits came from some sort of Rover but this game needs better players now.

Slinks sulkily away :(
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:33 am

mine came in a pinto 1600 -711 block ---way too over engineered so I cut it --ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: