Simonbbc V Aldon Ignitor

PostPost by: jeff jackson » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:00 pm

Hi all,
Have had alook through the archives and found plenty of discussion about the Aldon Ignitor (some I even contributed to), but nothing about the Lotus Powerspark Electronic Ignition Conversion Kit from Simonbbc.
From the website:
"This Ignition Kit for 23D4 , 25D4 Distributors fits all Lotus fitted with the Lucas 23D & 25D distributor
This kit will convert all 23D , 25D4 points distributors to an electronic model by simply replacing your points and condenser and feeding the two wires back to the coil Red positive and Black negative."

I have had some problems getting the Plus 2 running properly, but with help from the forum, things are getting better.
New plugs has helped, but the idling is erratic to say the least.
My experience of Aldon ignitor is that I fitted the module ran it for less than 1000 miles and then it packed in. So not impressed.
I saw the Simonbbc unit and exchanged a few emails to make sure that the unit will fit. I also ordered a new coil as well.

So today I remove the Distributor (23D4) and fitted the unit.

Guess what? The cut-out rotor arm fouls the ignition unit.

So my question is, have they sent me the wrong unit ( After me making sure it would fit)?
Has anyone fitted this and are you happy with it?

P.S. I will not junk the cut out rotor arm in favour of the Ford one.

Kind regards
Jeff 72+2
jeff jackson
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Baggy2 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:08 pm

Hi
I started a previous thread on this subject and perhaps you would like to look at the (currently) last entry.

elan-f15/has-anyone-tried-one-these-t22141.html

All the best

Baggy
Baggy2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jeff jackson » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:14 pm

Hi Baggy,
Read the thread as you suggested.
Although you are talking mostly about distributors, there was one comment from you that read that Simonbbc said there was no problem with the rev limiter rotor arm.
Well there is with mine, it fouls the ignition module.
I do hope he has sent the wrong one.

Just wondered if anyone else has bought one of these, or am I the first!!

Jeff 72+2
jeff jackson
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jeff jackson » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:34 pm

Hi Everyone,
Just had an email from SimonBBC, and he now says that the ignition module will not fit in with the Rev limiter rotor arm.

So, the result is this, you can fit the ordinary Ford rotor arm, this is claimed to work, but I reckon I would rather not risk wrecking the engine by over revving, so I will be sending the ignition module back.

Kind regards
Jeff 72+2
jeff jackson
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: