Lotus Elan

Side light latch circuit - 2S

PostPost by: miked » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:10 pm

During my recent rewiring I made a schematic sketch of the side light circuit. It may save some time if fault finding. I put it in my manual. Without testing the action of the switch, it is not that clear on the manual drawings.

Mike :)
Attachments
Side Light circuit 2s.pdf
(32.08 KiB) Downloaded 391 times
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
BSA B33
Suzuki Hustler T250
BMW rninet scrambler
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Suzuki TC120 trailcat
Suzuki K11 super sport
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:54 am

Thanks for this, Mike. I have a Plus 2S (February 1970 build). The factory manual has a decent explanation, in words, of how it works, but pix always help.

My headlights work and the side lights come on with the headlights (and panel switch works as it should in each position). However, I can't get the sidelights to "latch" without the headlight switch pulled on. I've cleaned the relay, seems to be clicking and working, but I guess there's no power to the relay to keep it closed . . . ?

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:17 pm

Randy, from the drawing you can see that the latch leg has its own supply on C2. This must be favourite to check this is live at the relay C2 connection. If it is I would lift the wires off C1 and put a test lamp on the C1 relay contact and ground. Then get someone to hold your side light switch down on the dash. If it lights you prove your relay contact. C1 and C2 may be crossed. I drew it, as I recall, as per Lotus. Makes no odds as it is only a contact. Presume when you say head lamp switch you are talking about the vac air switch. The scheme I drew was for that type of system without a solenoid.

PS Your N/C contact for the up switch must be OK as you say the side lights come on but wont latch.

PS simple latch cicuit but a bit foxy the way it is wired in! Hence the diag' and colours.

Mike :D
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
BSA B33
Suzuki Hustler T250
BMW rninet scrambler
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Suzuki TC120 trailcat
Suzuki K11 super sport
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear