Electric Motors for Headlamp activation

PostPost by: dmj » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:47 pm

Some two years ago I was persuaded by my local garage proprietor to acquire an Elan Series 4 Sprint from a friend of his who raced Lotuses and who had worked with him in Kylami. The vehicle is something of an enigma in that it's numbered 45/5652 was registered in 1969 and owned by Rod Cotty for the last 30 years.It has a beautiful profile with very wide wheel arches. The local proprietor, Barry Croston, used to race motorbikes and is currently rebuilding 2 Norton works bikes which were originally built by Francis Beart Barry's intention is to produce a show stopper, in that the bodywork he produces has to be perfect, or it doesn't get out of the body shop. The boot lid has already been fitted with gas struts, and all the gaps on the doors, lights, bonnet and boot are perfect.
The former for the petrol tank, which I was allowed to do from mild steel has already been cut out, and an old type English Wheel is on its way to the body shop.
My next task is to try to source some advice from the forum on a circuit diagram and relays for the electric motors to power the light pods, but this topic seems to have been exhausted some years ago.
Any guidance, help on this topic would be welcome.
David Morris-Jones - Warrington
dmj
New-tral

PostPost by: worzel » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:26 pm

Hi Dave

I'm in Liverpool- handy for you- and I've done this to my sprint a few years ago. I've got the wiring diagram for it. you could either collect a copy from me or I'll send one to you. I used Lotus Excel motors (only because I bought them new as spares for ?10 each a few years ago) but I believe they're pretty much the same as MX5 ones. Work brilliantly I should add. If you call you could see how/where I positioned them etc- might save you some time.

Regards

John- 0151 480 8400
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:21 pm

The Sprint was not introduced until two years after your car was registered, unfortunately. :(
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:02 pm

Hi

Have a look at: post88441.html#p88441

Lots of info on there.

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:37 am

Welcome David. Some pod motor wiring diagrams & explanation here as well. I think they have been wired in several different ways.

elan-f14/headlamps-t19721.html

HTH
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:56 am

elansprint71 wrote:The Sprint was not introduced until two years after your car was registered, unfortunately. :(

5652 should be a S3?
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: