Battery

PostPost by: b-havers » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:18 am

I need to replace my battery before summer.

But, having checked all the local and most regional vendors, no one can supply a battery with the correct dimension and lookout.

Does anyone of you have any suggestion for brand and part number for a correct battery for a +2S?
Then I can ask one of the vendors to order one for me.
Bjorn-Anders, Norway
'95 Caterham Seven Roadsport
'02 Elise Supercharged
ex Europa S2
ex Elan +2S 130
ex Esprit Turbo
ex Caterham SS

Life is too short to drive boring cars
b-havers
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:55 am

Unless you need to stick with the original battery type for a specific reason I'd suggest you swap to one of the newer tech ones like an Odyssey. I bought a PC680 for my S4 a couple of years ago and it's been pretty much fit and forget - it keeps its charge over the winter and cranks the engine over much faster than the one it replaced. I've got two other similar batteries in other vehicles, both of which are coming up to 10yrs old and still working fine. Slightly more expensive to buy but def worth it in the long run. I got mine from http://www.tayna.co.uk/
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: b-havers » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:14 am

I don't mind changing from the original battery, problem is to find a battery fitting into the tray.
There are rather small options for a bigger battery, so I need one the same size as the original. What make it is doesn't matter..
Bjorn-Anders, Norway
'02 Elise Supercharged
ex Europa S2
ex Elan +2S 130
ex Esprit Turbo
ex Caterham SS

b-havers
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:51 am

Stuart, that is a very impressive battery spec and no more expensive than a quality silver lead acid battery (eg Bosch).

What's the downside? Whay aren't we all using this kind of battery (also waht is the weight, not listed in the website)

Ta
Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:34 pm

I found a battery for an MX5 that had twice the cold cranking amps. Also fits in the back..
Cheers
Tim
1972 +2S130
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:20 pm

gerrym wrote:Stuart, that is a very impressive battery spec and no more expensive than a quality silver lead acid battery (eg Bosch).

What's the downside? Whay aren't we all using this kind of battery (also waht is the weight, not listed in the website)

Ta
Gerry

If we're talking about the Odyssey I suppose the downside list would include having to do a bit of DIY to fit it to the car as the terminals are not directly compatible with the std cables and as the battery is only half the size of the original version, the clamps don't fit. It took me about an hour to make a new clamp utilising the same holes and a couple of washers to fit the cables. It is lower capacity than the std battery so if you habitually run your car just on battery power that may be an issue but I converted to an alternator at the same time and I've never had a problem. Two years is probably too short a time to conclude that all's well but it does seem to have been worthwhile so far. I converted to a pre-engaged starter a few weeks before the battery was changed and the Odyssey seems to "double" the cranking speed. I borrowed it for a week or so last summer to put on my Honda CBX and noticed the same effect.

One of the other two that I mentioned is in my 51 reg CCM motorcycle - a brand who's reputation for reliability is so bad that you'd think Lotus was Japanese in comparison. It's not an Odyssey but another make using the same technology and it's still going strong. That's the longest I've ever had a bike battery last - the std lead-acid ones don't seem to survive the winters particularly well. The other one's on my Land Rover - also about 10yrs old, and I've been expecting it to show signs of failure for years now but it's still good - even in the depths of an alpine winter last month.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: spyzee » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:51 am

Hi B-Havers,

I replaced the Halfords battery on my 1971 Elan +2s last June with a Motaquip VBY5 (Ah=35) which is very similar in size and hence a perfect fit. It now turns a Zetec 2.0 engine with no problems at all. It also has the added advantage of a completly flat top which is far easier for those moments when jump leads may be needed again. The terrminals are the right size, in the right place and it works fine with plenty of fast turning cranks.

Colin
1971 +2S 180/5 Spyder Zetec
spyzee
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:27 pm

Hi Bjorn

The original fitment is a Type 037.

Here in the UK I used this outfit:-

http://www.tayna.co.uk/037-Numax-Car-Battery-P981.html

Regards
Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: b-havers » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:59 pm

HGreat, thanks to you all; I'll check if any Norwegian vendors can supply one of these.
Getting one sent from UK to Norway would be pretty expensive...
Bjorn-Anders, Norway
'02 Elise Supercharged
ex Europa S2
ex Elan +2S 130
ex Esprit Turbo
ex Caterham SS

b-havers
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:21 am

Bjorn:

here is a link to a thread with a bit of info on the battery size for the Plus 2.

elan-plus-f13/new-battery-t20064.html

In North America we use BCI Group numbers (Battery Council International) for the various standard automotive battery sizes available. I am not sure if this system is commonly used in Norway, but might be worth a shot to assist in finding a suitable replacement locally. When I looked into the issue, a BCI Group 90 looked like a good fit for the Plus 2, although I am still using the non-stock replacement battery the previous owner installed. I don't have the Amp Hour (AH) or Cold Cranking rating to hand for the Group 90 battery, but I believe it was a bit better than the 037 mentioned above. I expect in Norway (like Canada) you would prefer a pretty good battery with extra capacity for cold starts. 8)

Here is a link with the summary dimensions of the BCI Groups. The BCI Battery Replacement Data Book has additional information, including terminal placement, capacity, etc. I can't find a copy on the 'net any more, but a good battery dealer may have one available if needed to assist you in size selection.

http://www.gglotus.org/ggtech/battery-b ... i-size.htm

I raised the floor in my car slightly in order to clear the spare tire correctly, and this provided more clearance for the battery height as well.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: