Original tacho

PostPost by: Crusty » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:44 pm

Looking for an original, in keeping, rev counter for my 1969 s4 FHC,
The car in the past has had Lumenition installed.
Reading into the cars history after the lumenition the rev counter did not work.
Ive seen on this site how to rewire correctly..
Some doughnut thought that an MG tacho would look good and correct the fault. I have the recipt so I know which well known classic car restoration firm done the work!!
The car is realy quite a good complete car with all the original bits and bobs and would be nice to source an original tacho, the car deservrs it.
I know there is a red zone, full beam, and dynamo light on the original tachos,
Sombody has put a fullbeam and dynamo light into the dash, shame!!
May be a new dash at some pont as well, with out a hazzard light rocker switch in the mid of the bottow row, want my car as original as poss.
I love it.
-~------~-----~------~------~-
>.....ELAN 1969 S4 SE COUPE.....<
>...SEE YOU ON THE FLIP SIDE...<
Crusty
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:05 pm

Looking for an original, in keeping, rev counter for my 1969 s4 FHC

There's one on ebay at the moment......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lotus-Elan-Sprint-Rev-Counter-/120626658882?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c15e8be42
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:27 am

Crusty,
Keep an eye on this site:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=tach ... m270.l1313

Colin.
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Crusty » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:55 pm

oldelanman wrote:
Looking for an original, in keeping, rev counter for my 1969 s4 FHC

There's one on ebay at the moment......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lotus-Elan-Sprint-Rev-Counter-/120626658882?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c15e8be42

Thanks for the reply Im now watching it..

If you find a dash let us know cheers again
Crusty
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Crusty » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 pm

fatboyoz wrote:Crusty,
Keep an eye on this site:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=tach ... m270.l1313

Colin.

Thanks Colin
Crusty
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:55 pm

Crusty wrote:May be a new dash at some pont as well, with out a hazzard light rocker switch in the mid of the bottow row, want my car as original as poss.
The hazard light rocker switch in the middle of the bottom row was original.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:40 am

Frank,
My '68 S4 (RHD) hazard lights are activated by a slider switch (same type switch as alarm switch mounted inside glovebox) located below the dashboard on the same bracket that supports the bonnet lock pull handle. The owner's handbook also shows the LHD car as being the same.
Colin.

[/quote]The hazard light rocker switch in the middle of the bottom row was original.[/quote]
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pamitchell » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:26 am

Colin

I concur. My Oct 68 Federal S4 has the sliding switch as you described. Activated by pulling the turn signal down and sliding the switch. I have a red hazard light on the dash.
Phil
Phil
1968 S4/SE FHC 36-7936
pamitchell
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:25 am

fatboyoz wrote:My '68 S4 (RHD) hazard lights are activated by a slider switch (same type switch as alarm switch mounted inside glovebox) located below the dashboard on the same bracket that supports the bonnet lock pull handle.
Colin,

If Crusty examines the bracket that supports the bonnet lock pull handle and finds no evidence of a hazard switch, then it is only reasonable to assume that the factory eventually changed and relocated the switch to a rocker in the middle of the bottom row as it is in my car as well as Crusty's.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:26 am

fatboyoz wrote:Frank,
My '68 S4 (RHD) hazard lights are activated by a slider switch (same type switch as alarm switch mounted inside glovebox) located below the dashboard on the same bracket that supports the bonnet lock pull handle.
Colin.

Is that what it's for! I've had a small slider type switch there since I bought the car in the early 80's but the wires to it were cut by a p.o. and there was nothing to "indicate" what it was supposed to do.

I've always assumed it was something that an even more p.o. had added as the bracket looked like it had bypassed Lotus's usual high std of manufacturing :) :)

Now I've just got to figure out how to make it work.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:24 pm

Frank,
You are probably right. The switch under the dash is small, awkward to get at and if you didn't know where it was located, you would never find it.
Colin.

If Crusty examines the bracket that supports the bonnet lock pull handle and finds no evidence of a hazard switch, then it is only reasonable to assume that the factory eventually changed and relocated the switch to a rocker in the middle of the bottom row as it is in my car as well as Crusty's.[/quote]
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Crusty » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:08 pm

fatboyoz wrote:Frank,
You are probably right. The switch under the dash is small, awkward to get at and if you didn't know where it was located, you would never find it.
Colin.

If Crusty examines the bracket that supports the bonnet lock pull handle and finds no evidence of a hazard switch, then it is only reasonable to assume that the factory eventually changed and relocated the switch to a rocker in the middle of the bottom row as it is in my car as well as Crusty's.
[/quote]

I have no mounting bracket for the hazzard lights on bonnet opener,
How many more middle bottom row hazzard light switches out there?
Crusty
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: powellsmail » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:45 pm

I also have the small slider under the dash. Mine is wired and live although you sometimes need to slide it on and off a few times to get all the lights to flash. Linked to an orangy warning light on the dash next to the handbrake warning light. The switch appears very similar to the one in the bottom of the glove box for the Lotus anti theft device.

Mark

45/9707 S4 SE (1969)
powellsmail
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RedS4 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:55 am

I just love this forum!! :D After owning my S4 for about 15 months, I had no idea about the hazard switch next to the bonnet pull. :oops: Yes, I have now discovered mine - pity it doesn't work..... :?
Evan J
Elan S4 FHC RHD 36/8569 AND White Evora S..
RedS4
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: