Type 26 wiring looms

PostPost by: rodlittle » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:25 pm

Looks like I have to bite the bullet and make a loom for my car, it doesnt seem possible to buy one that hasnt been made for a later model
so... If anyone else wants a loom for a type 26 made as closely as possible to the diagram in the original workshop manual. That is, same colours as listed and one piece not split into 3 as the later ones were and terminated with the correct as far as I can tell connectors, let me know.
Since I have to make up a loom board to make one I can just as easily make another.
Cost dont know but probably about a 100 quid.
cheers
rod
rodlittle
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:58 pm

Are you seeking originality or improved functionality?

I'm currently reworking my harness to make all the motor connections run through a single multi-contact connector. This will simplify the task of pulling the motor, and I plan to make that a highly streamlined operation.
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rodlittle » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:17 pm

Well initially Im seeking a loom, I dont have one at present and since I have to make one it might as well be as original as I can make it
cheers
rod
rodlittle
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:33 pm

Well good luck and have fun.

The vintage bike guys I hang out with generally fall into the opposing camps: Purists for originality, and the make-up-your-own-loom for functionality guys. I guess I'm more on the latter end of the spectrum.
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:13 pm

Gents,

FWIW

The looms are available and pretty exacting in their replication. I have an original loom in the 63 and the 64 is getting a repo s1/s2 loom : the wrapping is correct , wires terminated in lucas bullets or spades etc the same as the original and the color codes are all as they should be, loom is also branched like the oem one.

The rear has all the right wires etc but I am not sure I can replicate the routing on the 63 with what I have for the 64.

I would not stray from the original , it works and looks as it should plus can /will be documented so any one can understand it.

G
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jeff@Jae » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:31 pm

The S2 wiring looms are available and they are very correct. Pretty simple to install as they have all the correct colors/ends on the wiring. I personally would stick to the original because my original loom is excellent except for the generator(dynamo) ends and they were easily replaced. I'll be installing an alternator soon and the regulator bypass is easy as well but I think the available looms can be had with alternator installation changes done. At least for the Lucas ACR alternators. We've sold more than a few of these looms and they are one piece up to the separate tail loom.
Jeff@Jae
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: zog » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:24 pm

I think I will be needing a new loom for my S2 project. What's a new loom run these days and where can I get one?
zog
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: