Headlining

PostPost by: jonnyconcrete » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:47 pm

Who's the favourite headlining expert...and any idea of the cost of replacement?
jonnyconcrete
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:08 pm

About ?70 from all the usual suspects =

Paul Matty
Mick Miller
SJ Sportscars

There are a few different ones = Perforated or Lodestar
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craig Elliott » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:41 am

The cost will very much depend on whether or not your car has a bonded in windscreen - if you do then you will need to replace that at the same time and you'll need to check on the availability of the plastic/chrome trim that surrounds it (see other posts on this). As a result costs can increase massively... You need to remove both the front and rear screens to fit the new headlining and its more or less impossible to remove the bonded in one without breaking it and/or ruining the trim. Even if the screen isn't bonded in it's probably best to replace the rubbers as it can be difficult to re-seal them. The usual suspects and Woolies trim supplies are likely to have what you need.

As mentioned above, there are different patterns of material and also different numbers of rods that hold the lining up.

C
Craig Elliott
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: martinbrowning » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:29 pm

Don't like to be the party pooper but Craig is correct- if your car has the silver bonded screen surround then replacing the headlining becomes a real problem (screen needs to come out). The surround is currently unavailable due, I believe, to EU regulations over the chemicals used in it's manufacture. I think that there is a more modern black surround available but it doesn't look right on the car (even if it can be fitted correctly).

My own plus 2 is with Matty's at the moment for respray and new headlining,but I was able to source a Europa silver surround from Dave Bean in California. It is slightly shorter than the Plus 2 one but Matty's are making up two ali joining pieces of the correct profile to finish the job.
If you can live with the headlining,and you have a bonded screen surround, then I would say-wait.

Kind regards

Martin B
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
72 Europa Special, 72 Sprint, 72 Plus 2
martinbrowning
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jonnyconcrete » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:39 pm

Thanks Guys...nothing is ever easy...so what's the best cleaning fluid :(
jonnyconcrete
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Craig Elliott » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:44 pm

It depends on what is wrong with your headlining. If it's just dirty with age then vinyl cleaner might work. Commonly, though I think +2 headlinings get orangy coloured rust staining above the doors from where water has leaked in past the screws that hold the metal rain gutters onto the roof. In this case you won't be able to clean the marks off. However, you could try getting some vinyl paint/dye either in brush on or aerosol form, carefully mask the car up and re-paint the lining.

I was going to do this but ended up doing the whole shabang when my windscreen cracked (stone chip flicked up by a car I was following) and I had to replace it anyway.

Craig
Craig Elliott
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:57 pm

jonnyconcrete wrote:However, you could try getting some vinyl paint/dye either in brush on or aerosol form, carefully mask the car up and re-paint the lining.

I have a similarly dirty headlining on my Sprint - tried several vinyl cleaners but they didnt make much impact. Have seen the vinyl paints advertised - has anyone tried them?

Richard
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:49 pm

I have used Kiwi Sport on mine, works pretty well.
Attachments
Kiwi Sport.jpg and
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jonnyconcrete » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:28 pm

Jase, how did you stop it streaking?
jonnyconcrete
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jonnyconcrete » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:39 pm

Has anyone tried a weak bleach water mix?
jonnyconcrete
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: AussieJohn » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:52 pm

Tried cleaning mine with various stuff with no results. I now have to pull the lining out because the foam above the lining is disintergrating and covering the interior with brown dust; its coming through the perforations in the lining.
AussieJohn
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Daholmes19 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:58 pm

Hi there

I had the same problem with my +2 and after spraying a small test area first sprayed the complete headlining with white semi gloss vinyl paint/dye. It took a lot of masking, plus a 6' x 12' plastic drop cloth for the full interior. It helped to pull off the door seals and then you just have to mask around both screens (tucking the tape behind the seal for an invisible finish) it turned out very well indeed, my headlining was stained and yellowed but the paint completely cover it all.

Only issue was ventilation as it got pretty cloudy and fume ridden inside the car so I wore a mask, on the plus side it dried pretty fast though, I can send a picture if anyones interested.

Cheers
Dave
Daholmes19
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:46 am

I also used vinyl paint to good effect on the sun visors; came out very well. I used black on the vinyl door cards and browned carpet. It seems to rub off the carpet a bit, and makes it stiff to the touch.

I used new material for the headlining though as it was completely torn in my case. The fabric is available by the yard or as pre-sewn panels. As mentioned above you need to specify number of mounting rods and fabric type; believe Lodestar or Confetti or the perforated stuff IIRC. Sue knew exactly what was required.

My headliner job came out very poorly as I have a sun roof as well (going by jonny's other question). The stock mounting method has to be modified to accommodate the sun roof side rails and the rods. When I re-do the job I think I will try with some flat Lodestar fabric I have left. Might want to get your sunroof in good shape first.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: DUKE » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:50 am

My headlining was good apart from patches of discolouration, I simply sprayed it with VinylKote and that was over 16 years ago! It still looks as good today as it did when it was first done, highly recommended, available through numerous outlets.
DUKE
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:56 am

Jase, how did you stop it streaking?

I put it on with the sponge in the top, rubbing it in small circles. I gave it 2 coats and no streaks.

Probably a good idea to try it on the sunvisor first. My headlining was so badly tobacco stained that nothing could make it worse.

Jason
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: