r-ewiring my car thread

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:18 pm

bryn wrote:thanks guys,

the bonnet cable is indeed retracted by undoing the nipple at the far end. it'll be fun getting it back through as it is a lttle frayed at the end.

Try soldering the end with a very small amount of solder so you don't increase the diameter.
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:02 am

Robbie693 wrote:Much more comprehensive answer than mine Stu, I can only say I was pressed for time! :oops:

The parking light switch you mention, I've never seen one of these. Perhaps it's a Federal distinction? Have you a photo?

Unless you are referring to the Side lights, in which case they are activated by turning the main light switch, before pulling for the head lights - at least on the domestic failsafe models. Is this the same for the federal models?

Sorry if this is deviating - I'm just curious about the federal/domestic differences!

Cheers

Robbie

Yes Robbie, I expect this may be a Federal vs. Domestic difference. I am always a bit reluctant to reply on these wiring ones due to the variations. I expect a lot of us are in the same position, where we only really have one go-by (our own car) and potentially mislead someone inadvertently because of subtle model differences. The schematics don`t address the physical or functional differences very well.

You have it right, for `Park Lights`insert `Side Lights`; I mean the same beasts.

For mine (Federal LHD), the side lights are actuated in two ways. To just turn on the side lights, there is a flat rocker switch that is spring loaded to a self centering off position. The on push triggers a relay located (in stock form) on the side of the heater box. The wiring of the relay is such that it holds the light circuit in the on position until the intermittent off`signal is sent from the rocker switch.

The second way the side lights are turned on is by pulling on the main headlamp pull switch, which in stock form also releases the vacuum circuit to the pods, which pop up with the springs. As the side lights work with the relay described above, the circuit does not care how it gets the signal to turn on. In either case, the relay keeps the circuit hot until the off position is pressed.

The weird part of this set-up is pushing the main headlight switch in (off, pods lowered by vacuum reserve) does not turn off the side lights. That`s why I called them park lights originally; they stay on until you push the off trigger on the intermittent rocker switch. Also, the side lights cannot be turned off when the headlights are up and on because the headlight circuit keeps the side light relay energized.

The Federal set-up is also (apparently, its the only one I have actually played with) a bit different that others. The two micro switches are re-located from the pods to the headlight pull switch. The wiring details of this part are also a bit weird because Lotus obviously wanted to minimize changes to the loom; it`s not a clean sheet design. The micro switches are dual switches, with a normally open and a normally closed contact on each one.

Digressing a bit, when I re-wired the car, I just wired the whole show to make sense with new relays located in the glove box area, replaced one of the failed micro-switches, and motorized the pods. Strikes me locating the relays in a dry area is a good idea, and the glove box location works well as the dash assembly becomes easy to remove with the minimum of wires extending off the dash assembly.

Sorry for the length Bryn, but perhaps gives you an idea for your re-wire. I get the impression you are shooting to use the stock wiring configuration as much as possible, which obviously has it`s own advantages as well. Let us know what type of light switches you have on the car so I don`t lead you astray. :)

HTH
Last edited by stugilmour on Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:46 am

>Also, the side lights cannot be turned off when the headlights are up and on because the headlight circuit keeps the side light relay energized.

I think the sidelights & headlight have to be interlocked like that or you could easily end up with headlamps on and no rear-lights.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:40 am

Thanks for the explanation Stu. I didn't know the set up was so different. In various road tests of federal models I've read I didn't see any differences in the dash layout so presumably the position for the sidelight switch is occupied by a switch for something else on domestic cars?

Another difference is the sidelight relay, as far as I know there is no relay in the sidelight circuit in domestic cars. In fact, no relays in the lighting circuit at all! I've modified mine by putting relays in the main and dipped circuits. Obviously relays are a good idea, why Lotus thought that we in the UK don't need them is beyond me!

Wondering why the need for different switching arrangements - maybe federal laws..?

Cheers

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:58 am

phil stole some of my thunder with all CAPS as I was going to reply that way and with a bunch of exclaimation marks as too but here goes.

MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT LEAVE YOUR BATTERY HOOKED UP WITH THE CAR UNATTENDED AT ANY TIME DURING THE RE WIRING LEARNING PROCESS ( ! ! ! )

The only real fear I have as an Elan owner is fire... both of mine have cable disconnect switches mounted at the battery terminal.

Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bryn » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:05 pm

good point folks, i'm going to incorporate a battery isolation swich in the boot somewhere. i'll have to arrange it so i can still plug in my battery conditioner even without the master switch on.

now for a dumb question. what are the swiches on the dash board as they are unmarked?

thanks folks,
bryn
bryn
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:40 pm

bryn wrote:
now for a dumb question. what are the swiches on the dash board as they are unmarked?

thanks folks,
bryn

Hi bryn

Gerry did up a nice terminal description of the various switches here:

elan-plus-f13/page40.html

For switch locations, they are covered off very well for left & right hand drive and various models in the parts manual. If you don't have one to hand, you could check out the parts manual pic at here, although I think it may be LHD only:

rdent.com

HTH
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bryn » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:28 pm

hi stu. thanks for the reply. for some reason i wrote in my last post "what are the switches on the dashboard for?". what i should have said was

"what are the little lights for" one is clearly for heated rear screen bt i'm not sure on the others.

cheers,
bryn

PS i can't wait until it is fully working and in perfect running order, carbs set-up, ignition timed up, nice new tyres etc.

do the "race" seats from here www.wwclassics.com look ok do you think. At the moment i have mk2 rs2000 seats fitted, but although these are comfortable, they sit too high and i don't think look right.
bryn
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:54 pm

bryn wrote:hi stu. thanks for the reply.

...."what are the little lights for" one is clearly for heated rear screen bt i'm not sure on the others.

cheers,
bryn

I also misspoke in my reply. The details of the dash layout are in "Section M - Electrical Equipment" of the Workshop Manual. Note I am sure there are several vintages of the WM, so your's may be different.

Unfortunately, the short answer to your question regarding light function appears to be the exact location of the warning lights varies by model, so you may be better off getting an answer from someone with RHD S130 model. FWIW, my LHD Federal four light set-up is, from the left or driver's side, as follows:

Hazard flasher (flashes when hazard on)
Park Brake (on when brake lever pulled up, switched to ground, power supply to lamp by hot in run only, fused - Green)
Brake Fail (actuated by small push button in side panel, or lights up if brake balance is out in Federal car, switched to ground). - Guessing this is from a brake fluid level switch in a single hydraulic circuit car?
Rear screen heater (on when heater actuated) - I used this one, along with the associated switch, for driving lamps; there was no rear screen heater was installed in my car although the switch & light are there.

There was also, I understand, a dash version with only three lights. This is not covered in my WM, but I believe they combined the brake fail an parking brake warning into one lamp?

In my WM there are several layout diagrams at the end of this section with the wire connection colours listed diagrammatically for two versions of LHD; six minor gauge and four minor gauge.

In addition to the above, pages 80 & 81 include drawings of three dash configurations.

Seats look nice to me :) Look similar to my Federal stock ones, except head rest is adjustable on the one's you are considering. I am assuming your car came stock with the wider comfort seats, but we did not get your model in Canada in any great numbers, so I am not familiar.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:36 am

Hi,

Just to confirm Stu's post, 'most' of the S130's (apart from the very early ones) had a 3 light arrangement on the dash. Left one is the combined brake fluid level and handbrake warning, middle (purple) light is heated rear screen and right is the hazzard warning. The three light arrangement came in with the dash mounted fusebox.

This isn't covered in the workshop manual but is in the S130 supplement to the handbook.

Cheers

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bryn » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:26 pm

thanks guys, that gives me somewhere to start from, it is definitely a 4 light setup.
bryn
First Gear
First Gear

Previous

Total Online: