which wiring loom?

PostPost by: bryn » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:43 pm

hi all, i need a tail loom for my car and have ordered one from paul matty, but there seemed to be some confusion over what car i have and what loom i need.

it was made in march '72 and registered soon after. (it says it is an s130 on the logbook). 8 gauges on the dash including a voltmeter, and 3 fuseboxes under the bonnet (so no fusebox on the dash, but also no ashtray either?) , alternator (don't know if this was an upgrade or not or original).

what else could i look for too to confirm if it is an s or s130? and if i have ordered the wrong loom (they have said it is returnable should it be incorrect.

cheers folks,
bryn
bryn
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:52 pm

Hi Bryn,

Early S-130 s had a the 'S' type wiring loom, usually identified by the fuses/relays under the bonnet and, as you alude, the ashtray in the dash.

The dash has probably been replaced at some point and the ashtray hole omitted.

Cheers

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bryn » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:38 am

thanks robbie, that answers everything.

cheers,
bryn.
bryn
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: bryn » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:48 am

hhmm, hereth lies my next problem,

the new replacement main and dash looms i already have are for an 's' model which sounds ok, however, they are for a generator equipped car and mine has an (i believe factory fitted) alternator. Is it modifyable to alternator spec or would this be a right ball ache? does any body have a guide of a how to? if it involves bodging then i guess i'll just have to bite the bullet and get a new correct loom.

cheers,
bryn.
bryn
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:21 pm

I have found that as Lotus looms within a model range vary greatly it is prudent to remove the old loom and send it to the company manufacturing the new loom. Mark all terminals as an aid to you when installing the new loom and as a way for the wiring company to identify the wires as color codes also changed and may not match the standard or the workshop manual schematic.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: