battery shut off

PostPost by: rdssdi » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:41 pm

I installed a "Flaming River brand" battery cut off switch in the trunk next to the battery. I believe it is a great idea with a car lacking fusible links and maxi fuses as is common today. Certainly in a car that gets little use.

The down side is that I have to open the trunk each time I use the car to allow access to the switch.

I am planning a battery isolator for the TVR also. As the battery is under the hood which is large and annoying to open, I decided to search for another way . To place the switch under dash to give easy access would require longer battery cables.

What I found was a latching relay. It is available from several manufacturers and will turn on or off with a small hidden switch. It only uses power to initially latch the contacts.

http://intellitec.com/pdfs/BATTERY_web/bd.htm (may not be latching type)
http://bluesea.com/category/1/productline/407 (latching and high amps)

Just thought it was interesting.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rocket » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:23 am

I like that Bob,been thinking i should have a battery cut off but always found the idea of having to delve into boot each time off putting.Being a worse than useless electrical type is this a simple wire in job? Would you be able to have a switch hidden in car so that it doubles as anti theft device?

Ian
rocket
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Steve G » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:25 pm

rocket wrote:I like that Bob,been thinking i should have a battery cut off but always found the idea of having to delve into boot each time off putting.Being a worse than useless electrical type is this a simple wire in job? Would you be able to have a switch hidden in car so that it doubles as anti theft device?

Ian

Why does it need to be hidden? I have an isolation key on the rear bulkhead, in between the seats, you just take it with you whenever you get out of the car. I'm sure you could get a unique key version to thwart any car thieves who carry around a set of isolation keys.
Steve G
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:13 pm

The reason to "hide" the actuating switch is to allow the battery shut off to be used as a theft deterrent. As well as maintaing an original dash.

Placing the switch at the rear bulkhead may work for an Elan but my +2 has a rear seat.

The hook up for the actuating system is simple. Run a fused + 12V, always hot, to the proper battery relay terminal and the other side terminal to ground. The power should be taken from a small accessory wire attached to the + battery terminal and as mentioned earlier must be fused. A waterproof inline holder and fuse will suffice. The relay will only use power when changing state. The only down side I can see is the size. The Blue Sea "ML" series relay measures 5.47 inches by 3.75 inches by 2.030 inches in depth. Rather large.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:20 pm

I see the "intellitec" relay (link in initial posting) is a latching relay also. It is rated at 100 amps continuous and 500 for periods under 30 seconds. Is there an EE in the group? Is that sufficient rating to handle the battery load for a car?

The intellitec relay appears to be smaller than the Blue Sea. An possible advantage .

BOB
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:51 pm

Bob et al

If your Plus2 is RHD then the ideal place for a cutoff switch is in the trim panel just behind you...intercepts the main battery lead..bridged by a resettable fuse (to power the alarm),you can just see it poking out above left.

Photos of key out and key in...

John :wink:

P.S. don't tell the car thieves
Attachments
2004_0302cutout0002.JPG and
2004_0302cutout0001.JPG and
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:02 pm

rdssdi wrote:I see the "intellitec" relay (link in initial posting) is a latching relay also. It is rated at 100 amps continuous and 500 for periods under 30 seconds. Is there an EE in the group? Is that sufficient rating to handle the battery load for a car?

The intellitec relay appears to be smaller than the Blue Sea. An possible advantage .

BOB

500A * 12V = 6kW or approximately 8 hp - a lot stronger than any starter motor I've ever seen!!
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:35 am

I just use a quick release connector on the + lead to the battery terminal. It acts as a deterrent and stops the car from catching fire. As the Elan does not have anything fancy like a clock or remote locking this has never caused me any problems... There is a radio but you can't hear it anyway.

The Sprint does have a hidden 'security switch' which sounds the horn when the car is started but I guess most people know where this is so it's not that secure and if the contacts are slightly worn the it can cause problems when you try to start the car yourself.

I used to remove the steering wheel and lock it in the boot when parking in 'dodgy' areas but that was really a lot more hassle. I now have a small Fiat for that instead :-)

carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: persiflage » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:39 am

Now, that is what I call real decadence ... a small Fiat, just to lock away your steering wheel! :lol:
persiflage
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: