Instrument Lighting

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Mon May 10, 2010 6:33 pm

My instrument lighting hasn't worked since I bought my car. I've tried to trace all the cables and I've gotten as far as the bulbs but don't know how to remove them from the back of the instruments. I've finally learned - late in life- not to force things unless I know for a fact that it's the right way to shift them. Any ideas? :?
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: m750rider » Mon May 10, 2010 7:01 pm

The bulb holders pull straight out.
m750rider
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: memini55 » Mon May 10, 2010 7:52 pm

If the bulb holder is a metal item it will pull straight out or rock sideways to pop out. If a plastic I have seen some that twist 1/4 turn then pop out.

Good luck!
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Leo Leentvaar » Tue May 11, 2010 12:22 pm

maybe pointing out the obvious here,: do you have connectivity from the switch to the bulbs? It may well be a faulty (corroded) switch as to me it is too much of a co-incidence that none of the bulbs in the Smiths dials work.

Good luck with the multimeter to hunt down this gremlin. :)
1971 Sprint DHC
Leo Leentvaar
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Tue May 11, 2010 1:41 pm

Further on Leo's comment: I don't know if the S3 has the same rheostat switch as the S2, but that switch is prone to failure. I have bypassed mine and wired the lighting circuit directly to the instrument lights - there is little enough light even with full voltage to the bulbs. I would check the feed from the switch first, since it is the common element in this problem.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Tue May 11, 2010 5:49 pm

Well, lads, last night I had to attend a meeting and when I came out it was dark. I started the engine, popped up the lights and switched them on - they seemed very dim. I flipped the instrument lights switch and actually had a bit of light there but when I was fiddling :oops: with the switches I turned them off and the panel lights wouldn't come back on. The other issue was that I could see my charge light on - not bright but on. I only had a mile or two get home and I parked and went in the house. This morning I tried to start the car and no joy. The battery had gone very flat. I'm hoping I can find a dirty connection at the dynamo or control box. If not, I may be converting to an alternator sooner than I had planned!! :cry:
I took out the battery this evening and put it on charge so I'll trace the fault some evening this week or on the weekend. Lucas, Prince of Darkness, strikes again!!
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Leo Leentvaar » Tue May 11, 2010 6:51 pm

Too bad about the flat battery Galway. I did convert my car to an alternator a couple of years ago and am pretty chuffed with it. The indicators now blink at constant speed.
One addition I did in the boot is that I have fitted a connection for a Cytek drip charger. When the car is hibernating it keeps the battery in good condition and saves you a lot of hassle when you try to re-awake the car.
1971 Sprint DHC
Leo Leentvaar
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: