Yet another battery question

PostPost by: elanern » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:01 pm

I am getting ready to buy a battery for my Federal S4 and want to place it in the original location. Problem is I can only find the front bobbin/mounting bracket, and cannot find the rear one. It looks like there might be a couple of holes in the vicinity of where the rear bobbin should be, bu I cannot tell for sure.

Can someone provide the dimension from the front bobbin threaded hole to the rear one? I am hoping the rear bobbin is buried under the paint. If not, with your help I will at least have the correct dimension to install a new bobbin.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
IMG_2654 resized.JPG and
Ernie
Florida, USA
elanern
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:38 am

I measured 9 inches between the 2 bobbins on my 1968 S4 elan.

There is a lip about 2 inches long and 1/4 inch high moulded in the fibreglass 7/8 inch beyond the rear bobbin for the footing of the L shaped clamp bracket also

regards
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:45 pm

Hi Ernie,
In my S4 the battery sits on a plywood base to clear the head of the bolt which secures the front bracket. As far as I know it's original. The brackets shown in the pic are not standard - I made them up to suit a non standard battery which I didn't actually use in the end. I do have the original brackets - let me know if you need any more dimensions or pics.

Best regards,
Attachments
Battery fixing 1.jpg and
Battery fixing 3.jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 am

Interesting - My 1968 S4 has a recess in the fibreglass for the front bobbin so that the bolt head is below the battery level and does not have the plywood panel.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:46 am

Interesting - My 1968 S4 has a recess in the fibreglass for the front bobbin so that the bolt head is below the battery level and does not have the plywood panel.

Hi Rohan,
Looks like mine is not original then. The bobbins are both flush with the fibreglass and I don't have the ridge behind the rear clamp that you have. I did find that the battery tends to move a bit at the front end and put this down to the fact that you can only tighten the rear clamp but maybe the smooth surface of the ply is the reason - does your battery stay put ? I've tried to address this by using a webbing strap looped round the front bracket and the rear fixing bolt - don't know if it works yet as the rebuild is still ongoing.
Attachments
Battery fixing 004.jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:37 pm

Ernie,

I noticed you have side marker lights. If you have crazing in the fiberglass around that light, it's because the battery is pushing against it. You may have to take the light apart and modify it to reduce its' depth somewhat. Good luck.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chicagojeff » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:08 am

One solution that I have for the slipping and sliding battery is to get some really strong velco tape, and put one strip on the battery, and the other on the underside of the clamp. Alternatively, I guess you could also try the same underneath the battery between the car and the battery bottom. This works very well. Jeff
67 S3 DHC
chicagojeff
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elanern » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Thanks to all for the responses. This weekend I will attempt to find the remnants of the rear bobbin and/or recess and proceed to finalize the preparations for battery installation. Might be some fiberglass work involved...

It always amazes me that each car, although built to the same general specs, has varying details such as battery mounting. Adds to the charm of the cars.

For what it's worth, the PO secured the battery on the plywood above the spare tire. He outlined the perimeter of the battery on the plywood using 1x1" wood strips and then mounted the battery using J-clamps attached from below.

Thanks, again.
Ernie
Florida, USA
elanern
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Rob_LaMoreaux » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:32 pm

Last summer my battery died and I got an odyssey battery like the one that came with my wife's Alfa. I got it because it doesn't leak and I was tired of acid in the boot, and because it can sit all winter without being on a trickle charger. It's also a lot lighter than the original.

Anyway I laid it on it's side and made a fiberglass box to go over it that bolts to the two bobbins. The cables come out the bottom next to the spare tire so I don't have to worry about shorting. I'll try to get pictures of it if I remember tonight.
Rob
Rob_LaMoreaux
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: