Aldon Ignitor wiring

PostPost by: Craig Elliott » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:59 pm

Hi - does anyone have a wiring diagram for an "Aldon Ignitor" ignition system (this is the type that replaces the points within the existing distributor) they could possibly scan and post/email - or know the correct connections to make with the red and black wires? It's on a S130/5 with a ballast resistor coil.

The reason I'm asking is that the car "failed to proceed" the other day, probably because the solenoid has gone FUBAR and in trying to get the car back onto our driveway the car recovery guy played games with the ignition wires... :evil:

Any help much appreciated!

Craig
Craig Elliott
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:05 pm

Assuming you have -ve earth:

Black wire goes to coil terminal marked -ve or "cb"

Red wire goes to the ignition +ve feed (which is the opposite side of the ballast resistor from the one that connects to the coil terminal marked +ve or "sw").

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craig Elliott » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:25 pm

Paddy - great stuff, thanks! (I'd lost the diagram that came with the system and was trying to work out which wires had been pulled off what in an effort to breath life on the system).

Craig
Craig Elliott
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Chickenhawk » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:25 pm

When I did mine, I spent a long while trying to get it started after replaceing with aldon (which is great, have one on my 7 as well) as you have to remember to 're-time' it first.
"As a child, Robert Mason dreamed of levitating. As a young man, he dreamed of flying helicopters - and the U.S. Army gave him his chance. - Chickenhawk by Robert Mason"
Chickenhawk
New-tral

PostPost by: Craig Elliott » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:13 pm

Thanks guys, sadly I'm back to points for the moment, dozy breakdown man managed to fry the ignitor...

All I need now is a new starter solenoid and tax and it's back on the road! C
Craig Elliott
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: leifanten » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:24 am

they are called breakdown men for a reason..... :shock:

if you think experts are expensive, you should try incompetence......
Leif
1968 +2 Wedgewood blue
Houston, TX
leifanten
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: