Strange Sparks!!!

PostPost by: carrierdave » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:57 pm

Hello all,
Today I spent some time trying to get the car running better and noticed a strange thing.
When I was loosening off the distributor clamp, with the engine running, I noticed I was getting a small spark every time the spanner was in contact with both the clamp and the distributor body.

I have the standard 24D fitted with Pertronix ignition. The car is running very lumpy and uneven at the moment and I just can not seem to get it right.

Any advice would be appreciated
carrierdave
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:40 am

sounds like an earthing problem and the spark is caused when you and the spanner earth the dizzy - check the engine earth strap is making a good connection

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bob_rich » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:06 pm

Because the car body is glass fibre its important to make sure that the body of the ignition coil is firmly bonded to the engine. The Lotus manual shows a fairly hefty strap from the coil to engine block bolt by the engine mounting fixing. Had to put this lead on mine as it was missing when I got the car. I dont know the ignition unit U R using but it may pay to ensure its 0V is also bonded to the engine but the info on it should confirm this.

Hope this helps

Bob
bob_rich
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: carrierdave » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:52 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I haven't been able to look at the car so far but will hope to have a look this weekend. I know I don't have an earth lead on the coil however I thought that was just for the surpressor for the radio?

I'm surprised that i appear to be getting a good earth on the clamp but not on the dizzy body!

Dave
carrierdave
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: curly type 26 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:00 pm

Yes but when you loosen the clamp you potentially break the earth path. :lol: Curly 1964 26Rr
curly type 26
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:34 am

As stated, the braided earth strap from engine to chassis across engine mount is very important. I have heard tales of Elans without the strap going up in smoke when the owners try to start them - the earth path for the starter motor current can be through the throttle cable... :shock:

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:54 am

I think Curly is right. If the engine is turning over well when starting, I don't think there's a problem with the earthing of the engine generally. The dizzy should be earthed fine when the clamp is tight, so I suspect this is just because you've got the clamp loose to adjust it.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: curly type 26 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:24 pm

Thanks for the back up Paddy, when you look at dizzy your only posative earth point is via nipped up clamp, so always make sure block & bolt & washer & clamp are rust & crap free dont count on the meshing of the gears to give you an earth. It wont! :D Curly 1964 26Rr
curly type 26
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: