wiring connectors in the nose

PostPost by: umbyfer » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:22 pm

here attached some pictures of my actual wiring connectors in the nose for headlamp, repeaters and others. They are modern connectors and I think not original. Previous owner put the hands in many places in the car....
Could anyone tell me if they are correct or if I have to replace by the british connectors?

My car was originally federal sprint; now in Italy is some federal and some european standard (weber carbs, rear light european, federal seats, left hand drive...)

I am working to restore the car as much as possible original.

thank you for any help and for some helpful picturs from your car.

Umberto
elan sprint 7108000193K
Attachments
P1040162a.JPG and
P1040161a.JPG and
P1040164a.JPG and
Umberto Ferrari
Modena - Italy
Elan Sprint 7108000193K
Elite SII #1319
umbyfer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: archigator » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:51 am

I use British Wiring here in the states to get the appropriate bullet connectors (soldered) and snap connector sleeves. See page 15 in the catalog:

http://www.britishwiring.com/CAT00_35.PDF

I would guess that about 99% of the wiring connectors in the Elan are bullets with snap connector sleeves (except the windshield wiper connector plug, the 3-pin headlight plug, alternator plug?, main loom connector plug(s), and maybe one or two others that I' may be unaware of.) I don't believe that any crimped connectors (such as your blue connectors, as best I can tell from your photo) would be original to the Elan.

British Wiring also sells the correct wiring. You may find a closer source, but this catalog is well illustrated, and provides a great reference IMHO.

Gary
'71 Elan Sprint FHC
Miami, Florida USA
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:45 am

Umberto WHY?

I think that unless you want to enter your Car into into "Originality" competitions the step you are considering taking is retrograde.
The original "Bullet" connectors are open to the elements, especially up in the nose of the Car.
This can lead to corrosion & subsequent faults. Corrosion can also make them very difficult to disconnect.
Modern connectors are usually sealed from the weather & can only be assembled one way thus preventing incorrect connections.
My Modified Elan uses modern connectors throughout & has had no electrical problems that could be associated with them in the past 10 years.

John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: