How to fit a radio cassette?

PostPost by: iain.hamlton » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:05 am

I now have a radio cassette to fit to my +2. There is room, because someone has modified the space where it fits by cutting the metal at the back of the slot (is it part of the heater?). I will sort out electrical compatibilty between positive earth car and negative earth radio-cassette, by using a DC-DC converter so I can retain the earthing.

The question is how to mount it physically. The original radios were short and light. Were they just cantilevered off the dash? Any suggestions how to support the extra weight of the radio-cassette?

thanks and best regards, iain
iain.hamlton
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:44 pm

Iain,

I fitted a modern standard size unit to my Plus 2 by modifying the heater casing. I cut out a slot and resealed it with some ali sheet stepped to take the unit. So it is supported front and rear.

Down side is you need to remove the dashboard to do this.

Have you considered changing the polarity of your elecs to neg earth ?

Sean Murray
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: iain.hamlton » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:02 pm

Thanks, Sean,

Something like the mod to the heater you describe has been made by a previous owner, although it is not sealed. I have just been looking at it, and the mod has left a level step at the back, which may make a support.

I need to find a way to fix the front. Perhaps I could make a plates to go down the threaded sleeves around the controls to hold agains the back of the dash, and a bezel to hold the front of the dash. Can you get things like this?

I had considered converting to negative earth, but I suspect it would mean a lot of work: Rectifier, coil, tach, voltage stabilizer, dynamo, battery.... not sure of effects on windows, wipers, etc. I am inclined to leave that alone

- Iain
iain.hamlton
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: