Headlight vac unit bracket

PostPost by: weldsol » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:01 pm

Hi has anybody got a drawing / photo of the bracket for the headlight vac unit as mine is just a spot of rust dust so I need to fab a new one in S/steel

Paul
If it can't be fixed with a hammer it must be an electrical fault
weldsol
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: leifanten » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:09 pm

someone had a post with picture in it just recently. it was a "mystery part" quiz, and turned out to be the vac unit bracket. do a search and you will find it I am sure.

Leif Andre
1969 +2
Leif
1968 +2 Wedgewood blue
Houston, TX
leifanten
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:03 pm

1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:43 am

Hang on a bit here. Is the the request for the headlamp vacuum pod mount for a +2? It would seem so, given the post is in the +2 grouping. The recent "what is it" question shows the pod mounting bracket for a Federal Elan. The pod mounting brackets differ from Elan to +2, series to series, and left hand to right hand side (yes, some versions have one pod, others have two). Please look at the Service Parts Lists, try this source:
http://www.rdent.com/
for Ray's fine web postings of the service parts lists. As Gary translates for Beau, which Elan/+2 and series are you asking about? Now throw the slime tennis ball to me again!
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: weldsol » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:37 am

Thank you for your replies but the one in the picture is not the one for my car.
Mine is a single vac pod with a huge spring (Failsafe ) 1974
There was still a bit of old bracket attached to the spring like a small channel with holes in the flanges

Paul
weldsol
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: cjones60 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:12 am

Paul
Is it item 42 in the attached parts list, my car is a 74 +2s and i can take a photo
of my own if required, it's the single cylinder failsafe type - Chris
Attachments
bracket.jpg and
cjones60
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: weldsol » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:47 am

Chris what a star
It all makes sense now what I thought was part of the bracket comes with the vac unit. :roll:
This also came to light 15 mins ago when my new vac unit arrived so all I have to make now is item 42
I suppose it's all part of the fun trying to do a jigsaw without a picture and with some of the parts missing.

Many thanks to all who replied

Paul
PS Chris I won't need a photo but thanks for the offer
weldsol
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:02 pm

Hi all. I thought I'd post a pic of the vacuum pod bracket that I've just made for my +2. It seems to be holding my new vacuum pod really securely and was very quick and simple to make.

The first pic shows the bracket fitted to the new pod.

The bracket comprises two alloy plates each about 2 to 3mm thick, which are separated by some off the shelf large washers - bought at B&Q - and bolted together with four stainless bolts and using the pod itself. The alloy plates were scraps from work. I've made a large hole in the top plate, and bolted the pod through the lower plate. I tuned the diameter of the hole in the top plate to match the thickness of the two washers such that before I bolted the pod down there was about 1mm gap between the base of the pod and the lower plate with the pod resting on the rim of the whole in the top plate. Once the bolt is tight, the plates flex slightly and the whole assembly is under tension. So, the top plate stabilises the pod, and the lower plate is the firm base. The large spreading washers are a quick solution to give enough separation to make the pod stable without undue forces, and to reduce flexing in the top plate by reducing the length of the unsupported beam. The little dimples in the base of the pod dig into the lower plate, and prevent the pod rotating once installed. The dents in the lower plate are shown in the second pic. The last pic is of the thing installed. The two springs put quite a large torque onto the base of the vacuum pod, hence the need for the rigid bracket.

If I'd had a lathe I could have machined up a solid lump, but, actually I like the spring loaded solution that I've ended up with.

So I hope that's of interest to people. I haven't drawn it up yet, but could measure up if anyone is interested. Cost was ~?2.50 not including the alloy plates.

All the best.

Sean.

vacuum pod bracket close up side on.JPG and
Side view of bracket fitted to new pod

vac pod bracket topside.JPG and
The top plate of the bracket showing dimples in the lower plate.

pod_installed_for_forum.JPG and
Pod installed in nose of car
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: spyzee » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:40 pm

Unbeliveable, as if by telepathy or sheer coincidence, voila. This is exactly what I had designed over Christmas to fit the single pod that drives the spyder headlamp conversion. Scary. Please don't tell me you've put patent on it.
happy new year,
Colin
Attachments
Headpod1.JPG and
1971 +2S 180/5 Spyder Zetec
spyzee
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:29 pm

Excellent. No patents pending at all. Glad it's not a completely barking solution.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: