Ignition wires

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:20 pm

I remerber a discussion about using a Petronix ignition system & some discussion about using the correct type of wires. I seem to remember that if you used the wrong ones that you could harm the unit. I can't seem to find the info in the archives & unfortunately I didn't keep a copy of it, can anyone help?
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: dlbarnes1 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:45 am

I'm looking at instructions for the Pertronix electronic (breakerless) ignition and coil. There is no mention of requirements for spark plug wires.
Generally, manufacturers of electronic ignitions specify that solid-core wire is not to be used; that a suppression type wire should be used. Furthur, it is recommended that the suppression tybe be spiral-core ignition wire.
I'm using MSD Heli-Core spark plug wire which has a helically wound stainless steel conductor.
If your preference is to use solid core wire, I would recommend checking with Pertronix.

Dave 72 Sprint DHC
dlbarnes1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:13 pm

I also couldn't find anything in the Petronix literature to state what type of wires to use. The Petronix wire that they sell seems to be like your wire with a stainless primary & a carbon inner secondary.
I just that I seem to remember a thread about someone burning out their Petronix by using the wrong wire & I wanted to make sure of the problem.
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: